We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evenings in Yellowstone?

Grand Rapids...
7 posts
Save Topic
Evenings in Yellowstone?

I'll be spending about 5 nights in Yellowstone this month, in various areas.

I'm wondering about driving after sunset. I'll have no idea how long it takes to get from where I am at the time, back to the campground or cabin I'll be staying at. Is it going to be a problem driving in the dark if I misjudge the time?

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evenings in Yellowstone?

Yeah, you don't want to be driving in the dark. I had bison & elk running out in front of me in the wee hours before sunrise. Just don't get too far away from your lodging at sunset. Typically at sunset we would wait around for at least 30 minutes after the official sunset time for colors to peak out then start making our way back. Even then it wasn't totally dark yet. But we were never more than 10 miles or so from our lodging. Sunrises were also similar - out the door about 45 minutes prior to sunrise and on location 30 minutes before.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evenings in Yellowstone?

Everyone will say DON'T DRIVE AT NIGHT if you can help it!!! If you can not help it go very very slow and watch out for wildlife everywhere!!!!! After the sun sets you will have a little window of time before its actually dark,so as long as you dont have to drive a ridiculous distance I am sure u will be ok!!! ENJOY your trip! I leave 3 weeks from today.....and excited does not even describe what I am right now!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evenings in Yellowstone?

Use the map you will get at the gate to help you figure out the time. Double the miles to get the approximate time. (ie 14 miles = 28 minutes of drive time)

nps.gov/common/…

One of the most awful drives I've had in the park was when I was in Hayden Valley and watching a bear and cubs and not my time! I started the drive back to West Yellowstone at dusk and was white knuckling it by the time I got to the West Gate. Ugh. It taught me a huge lesson! Bison were all over the road or looming up on the side of the road, and interestingly they were in areas where I don't usually see them.

If you have the choice on planning your day, go to your furthest point and work your way back to your lodging. Sometimes that is not possible, though.

If you do misjudge, just go slower than normal and watch the road like a hawk.

Pam

Grand Rapids...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Evenings in Yellowstone?

Thank you everyone! With all of these suggestions, I think I should be able to avoid driving in the dark. I can imagine a herd of Bison walking in front of or along side the car in the dark would be scary!

Have a great time while you're there webbsue!

Boston...
Level Contributor
836 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evenings in Yellowstone?

I drove from Old Faithful to Lake Lodge(~40 miles) around 10PM. There was very little traffic and it was dark. But luckily I did not encounter any animals. I was pretty much driving with my head lights on high beam.

NJ
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evenings in Yellowstone?

If we were to go on the Roosevelt Old West Dinner Cookout that returns to Roosevelt around 8:00 PM in early August, can we make it back to Canyon before it is pitch dark? Now I am worried about doing this and hitting a bison afterwards driving in the dark!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evenings in Yellowstone?

Go to this link and print off a calendar for August.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

You will probably be OK as long as you don't tarry much after the cookout ends. You need to check and make sure the road construction between Roosevelt and Tower Fall doesn't foul things up.

editing to add: Well, I couldn't stand it....the road doesn't close til 11PM so you should be OK. You just need to drive carefully.

nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Pam

Edited: 11 July 2012, 21:33
Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evenings in Yellowstone?

<< If we were to go on the Roosevelt Old West Dinner Cookout that returns to Roosevelt around 8:00 PM in early August, can we make it back to Canyon before it is pitch dark? >>

I would think you would be fine. Road construction around Tower MAY add up to 30 minutes to the trip, but even if it did you should be okay.

9. Re: Evenings in Yellowstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 05:47