We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OF Inn Shared Baths

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
OF Inn Shared Baths

We've got an Old House room with shared bath booked at Old Faithful Inn for part of our upcoming trip. I've heard conflicting reports on how the showering facilities are set up in the shared baths. Is there any privacy for showering and dressing or not? Are all the shower rooms the same or do they differ? If they differ perhaps that would account for the conflicting reports I've heard on this subject?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

I can only tell you what the ones were like on our hall as I never checked out any of the other ones. Of course, I only went into the women'ts bathroom but if I remember correctly my grandson said the men's bathroom setup was the same.

When you go through the hallway door there are sinks on the wall to your right. On your left there is an opening with a wooden swinging door with an open area on the bottom and the top. That swinging door leads into the shower area. If you continue the toilets are to your left (across from the sinks).

The swinging door to the shower area does not lock. There were two showers with curtains. Across from the showers was a small bench to sit on. No privacy if someone else is in there taking a shower at the same time unless you undress, towel off, and dress in the shower behind the curtain. Some rooms apparently have nice big white robes to wear to and from the showers. We had the cheapest shared bath room and there wasn't any in ours.

The two mornings I used the shower I had the entire place to myself. It really wasn't that bad though I do wish there was a separate dressing area with a bench and door lock for each shower (much like in campgrounds).

Deb

Edited: 15 July 2012, 20:04
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

Interesting thread and one I was wondering about also.

Deb, out of curiosity, did you try asking for some robes, and if so, what did they say about their availability? I am looking at booking such a room and am hoping the robes are supplied. Thanks Deb.

3. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 02:01
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

Thanks very much for that info Deb and Ystoner. Sounds like it would be worth my while to look around and find the showers with individual dressing rooms. Deb, I'm wondering if the the lack of robes in your room could have been an overshight? Seems like it would be a no-brainer that the folks who most need robes are those using the shared baths in the halls, not those in the more expensive rooms with their own baths. I'd be happy to pay for an Old House room with a bath but they're very hard to come by. Somebody told me there were only 15 of them. Thanks again, that's exactly the kind of inside info you can only get on Trip Advisor!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

I didn't ask about the robes. We were there two nights and had our room/beds made each day along with fresh towels (including bath towels) placed on the shelf below the sink so I just assumed that our room didn't come with robes. While it would have been cool to have them it was no biggy.....grandson probably wouldn't have worn one anyway. LOL I didn't pack mine because I figured we would have one in the room as I've seen hanging in the rooms when we've walked by open doors on past trips. It all worked out ok though and we had an awesome time staying there. The lady at the registration desk gave us a tip though....she said next time take a room with 3 double beds across from the deck areas where you get to sit and look out at the fireplace. We thought they were suites and she said they were the same price as our room and had no baths either. We always tent camp but if we ever decide to stay at the inn again I'll try to get one of them.

Deb

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

It's been a few years now since we stayed there, but I seem to remember a lock in the changing area where we were. I think we stayed on the third floor. If there isn't a lock on the changing door, one idea would be to throw a towel, shirt, or whatever over the door to indicate someone is in there.

Pam, I'm planning on calling tomorrow to see if I can book one of the rooms with three double beds for our trip next June. I think there are only four available, so wish me luck:-). I currently have an Old HOuse room with two queen beds booked, which would work for us but it would be nice to have three beds since we're a family of five.

Oh, and our Old House room did have the bathrobes available. We never used them though.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

Very interesting and great tip about the bigger rooms

USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

I think the bathrobes were a mistake-we had a newer room with bath & we had them. I saw people in the old house wearing them to the showers, so I think they are standard. I only checked out one bathroom in the old house (just nosy!) and the showers had a little changing area in front of each shower with it's own door or curtain, it looks like maybe different bathrooms have different setups.

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
520 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

Deb's description of the women's room is spot on. we were there just a month ago.

there are two showers and a small common changing room and a short, flimsy unlockable door. i wouldnt even call it a door it's like a swinging door like you would find in a saloon.

we had bath robes in our room but we never touched them

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OF Inn Shared Baths

I've also read that a few of the "shared" bathrooms have a bathtub in them. Anyone know which floor these are on? Would be interesting to see, even if we don't use it.