We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

This is our first trip to GTNP and YNP, (and GNP):

1. July 19, (tomorrow) arrive at Jackson Hole, we plan on driving straight to Whitewater rafting 4:00 p.m. slot, eat dinner in jackson, and then drive to Jackson Lake Lodge for the night

2. July 20, spend day in GTNP and head out late evening to OFSL for night

3. July 21, day at OF area, drive to Lake Hotel for night

4. July 22, lake area, + another night at lake Hotel

5. July 23, night at Roosevelt Roughrider cabin

6. July 24, night at Mammoth Hotel

7. July 25, early morning start by road for Many Glacier Hotel.......

Many thanks!!!!!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

Pam will get it done for you .....she is THE BEST!!! have a safe, wonderful trip!! She usually gets back to you pretty quickly, dont fret!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

worry, worry, fret, fret,

I thought I could do it myself, but nothing I drafted makes sense

=(

Also, we are a family of 5--------- 2 parents and 3 older kids (17, 23 and 24). And they are insisting on us bringing at least (!!!) one laptop on the trip. Fromn what I hear, there is decent wifi in most of the lodging?

Edited: 18 July 2012, 16:39
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,540 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

Yes Pam is great at giving detailed daily trip plans- here is a map and link to must sees in YNP-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Good luck!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,540 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

Oh and forgot to add cell phone service in Mammoth area and at Old Faithful and near West Yellowstone, Gardiner, etc. but don't know about wi-fi service.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

Day 2: Head to OFSL and get there BEFORE dark!! You don't want to travel in either park in the dark because the big black animals will insist it is their park and walk down the middle of the road.

Day 3: Yes make this your geyser day. Start in the Upper Geyser Basin. There is an awesome Ranger tour at 830 from the Visitor Center if you can get going by then. Eat lunch in the Upper Basin (I prefer the Lower General Store which is next to Old Faithful Inn). After the Upper Basin, head north toward Madison. Go to Firehole Lake Dr. on the Right, then when you exit on to the Loop road continue North. If anyone needs a pit stop, go all the way to Madison Jct (flush toilets). Otherwise, turn left in to Firehole Canyon Dr which is one way back to the south. Rejoin the loop road and pick up MIdway, Biscuit and Black Sand Basins before you head to Lake. Do West Thumb Gesyer Basin if you are not geyser'd out! Overnight at Lake

Day 4: This will be your day to work the area from Lake up to Canyon. Make sure you park and walk across Fishing Bridge as you might have good wildlife sightings here. Do Le Hardy Rapids, Mud Volcano, you will drive thru Hayden Valley. Go to the Visitor Center at Canyon, then work your way back and do the North and South Rims. Easiest overlook is Artist Point on the south rim. Overnight at Lake

Day 5: OK, head north again thru Hayden Valley, stopping if you see anything interesting wildlife wise. The clue is people with large camera lenses or spotting scopes! Stop at Tower Fall and any overlooks north of there. At Tower Roosevelt Jct, head east into the Lamar Valley again stopping if you see anyone out with cameras or scopes. If you want a long drive day, go out the NE entrance and head up Beartooth Pass to Rock Creek Vista for a jaw-dropping look at the mountains. http://www.beartoothhighway.com/index.html Overnight at Roosevelt

Day 6: This morning, you can head back in to Lamar to see if there is anything out and about. Then head toward Mammoth. Do Petrified Tree, then Blacktail Plateau Dr. looking for black bear. At Mammoth go to the VC, walk the lower terraces. Possibly do the Old Ft Yellowstone walking tour. There are self guided tours, and there is a ranger tour in the afternoon. Drive the Upper terraces. If you have time drive south toward Norris. Overnight at Mammoth

Print out the calendar from www.sunrisesunset.com so you can make sure you are to your lodging before dark. (which means you are going to have to leave Grand Tetons while you have plenty of daylight left!)

Take advantage of the Ranger led tours and evening programs at each area where you are staying.

Have fun and let us know how it went!

Pam

New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

OMG!!!

You are the super-duper tippy-toppy very best!!!

Thank you so very much Pam.

So, should we stay all the days inside Yellowstone, and not even try for Cody?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

You could do Cody on your day you move to Roosevelt instead of Beartooth. If you spend some time at the museums there you might not have time to do Beartooth. You could leave Cody and do Chief Joseph and see how your time is running to make the Beartooth decision.

Pam

New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

Though, on the other hand, since we are driving up to Many Glacier and doing the GTSR, could we scrap Beartooth?

Is there something else, ranked higher, within YNP?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

If you want to skip Beartooth, you can go in and out to Cody or in to Cody, take the Chief Joseph and turn toward Cooke City instead of heading up Beartooth. This will put you in Lamar which is great for wildlife watching.

There is ALWAYS something to see in Yellowstone as far as I am concerned!!

Pam

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,124 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can Someone help me with an itinerary please?

Let me throw in that driving in YNP is miles x 2, not including and stops for animal jams or just to see the sights. So, South gate to Old Faithful would be about 40 miles, or 80 minutes if you didn't stop to see anything on the way- animals or natural wonders. That doesn't include the drive with stops from GTNP to the south gate.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 14:26