We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice please

Barnard, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice please

My husband and I are leaving August 3 for our YNP/GTNP vacation. Here is what I have so far for an itinerary. We know some things we really want to do in the park but I'm not sure how to arrange them. Any advice is appreciated!

Friday August 3rd - Leave home (NW Missouri) and travel to Interior SD/The Badlands.

Saturday 4th - Travel to Custer, SD. We will see Mt. Rushmore and do a few drives in Custer SP.

Sun 5th to Sat 11th - Klondike Guest Ranch, Buffalo WY.

Sun 12th - Travel from Buffalo WY to Canyon Village. We hope to stop in Cody for a little while. We will need to stock up on groceries and get bear spray. Where can you get bear spray in Cody?

Mon 13th to Wed 15th- Canyon Village. We would like to go see the overlook to the grand prismatic spring and take a half day or so hike (we are thinking mt. washburn). We will be getting up early to beat the crowds and hopefully see lots of animals. I think the road is closed from 11p-7a between canyon and tower. Where should we head early in the mornings to see wildlife, especially bears?

Thurs 16th - Leave Canyon and go to Colter Bay, GTNP. We have never gone to GTNP. What are some of the sights we should try not to miss in our short time there?

Friday 17th - Colter Bay. We have a supper float trip booked with Triangle X. We meet in Moose at 5pm. Sometime thursday or friday we would like to visit Jackson (some souvenir shopping). When would be a good time to do that?

Saturday 18th - leave colter bay and head to Terry Bison Ranch south of Cheyenne, WY. Any advice for a quick 1-2 hour stop to break up the driving this day?

Sun 19th - Cheyenne to Home. :-(

Thanks for any advice!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,203 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice please

You may be able to see some bears close by Canyon in Hayden Valley. You can also ask the Rangers at the Visitor Center there in Canyon about wildlife sightings.

You can use one of your 3 touring days to have a geyser day and do the west side of the lower loop which would include Grand Prismatic in Midway Geyser Basin as well as seeing the Upper Geyser Basin (Old Faithful), Fountain Paint Pots and a couple of off the loop drives.

You could definitely do Mt Washburn one day and it's pretty convenient from Canyon.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice please

Here is a link and map to must sees in Yellowstone-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Enjoy your trip!!

Ruidoso, New Mexico
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice please

So you want to see some Grizzly bears, Huh?? Maybe we can help.

From the 25th to the 30th of June we enjoyed a lot of good luck finding grizzlies in Hayden valley. We were staying at Lake and could be in the valley glassing for them in 15 or 20 minutes. This is what I would suggest: Load up and leave your camp at 5:50am. That will be 1st light. Be sure and bring Carl Zeiss and Mr. Swarovski with you!! Go south into Hayden valley. At the Mary mountain trail sign on the west side of the road a large sage brush drainage begins. We stop and quickly scan what we can see with 10X binoculars. Than we pull up to the next pullout and repeat. Don't worry about the East side of the Yellowstone river right now because it will soon be into the Sun and many mornings there is fog over there. We probably scan for 2 or 3 minutes then move down the road to the next pullout and do it again. We look at Alum, Trout, and Elk Antler Creeks and any unnamed drainages in between.

When we find them we jerk out the 20-60X spotting scope and look at them for 10 or 15 minutes then go look for some fresh bears. When you get to Elk Antler Creek drainage you stop and go back North. We would scan for 2 1/2 hours then quit and go eat breakfast. Somtimes the tourists will help you. We had our scope set up and 2 elderly couples pulled up and said," what are you looking for with that thing?" My husband said

"We are looking for grizzly bears but all we are finding right now are buffalo and elk". The lady said "We thought that was what you were doing. A momma grizzly and 2 cubs just showed up 1/2 mile down the road"!

The bears were digging roots out in the sagebrush basin. Most of them were 500 to 2000 yds from the road. The momma with the 2 1/2 yr. old cubs was within 300 yds. of the road on 2 different days.

Eat dinner early and go look for them from 6:45 until 8:.45.PM . If they haven't moved up to the high country you should see some bears. The most we counted in 1 morning was 7 and 11 for the day. Hope this helps!!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice please

Tammy....I am taking your advice for sure as well. I know you were there at a much better time for bears, but I am doing it just the same !!! Thanks :)

Barnard, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice please

Thanks for the great advice!

Omaha
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice please

If you have a Cabela's near you or are driving through a city with one, you might want to get bear spray there. I have no idea of prices in the Yellowstone area but I have the feeling they will be higher because of all the tourists getting the spray there. I'm guessing someone that's been there recently can help with pricing.

We bought it at the Cabela's in Omaha for $40 and it was the medium size can. I believe when I did an online search you could buy it at Walmart in Cody? but it was that price for a smaller can.

Good luck and hopefully you won't have to use it. That's what we're hoping for on our trip next week.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,514 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice please

I would tell you to take 287 south from Coulter Bay and stop in Lander. It has Sinks Canyon, a great place to spend an hour or so. http://sinkscanyonstatepark.org/

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,514 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice please

waited too long to edit :( Depending on your time, it is Great to picnic at Sinks, or we like Gannet Grill or The Hitching Rack in Lander. For a longer break, you can go on up the Loop Road from Sinks, then a bit south and catch South Pass City Historical Site, then back up and hit 287 again to I80. Get gas if you need it in Lander- nothing until Rawlins.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice please

Walmart in Cody had bearspray yesterday for $39 with holster. I got mine there last month for $29 without holster. Plus, it's a super Walmart so you can grocery shop at the same time.

While staying at Canyon, walk over to the visitor center daily to check the wildlife sighting hanging paper board at the entrance. Visitors post daily wildlife sightings which is very helpful since the bears move around a lot from month to month, week to week & even day to day.

Barnard, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice please

We were at Cabela's last week and I didn't think of it! I think there is a Cabela's in SD along the way though. Does the kind of bear spray really matter? Should we get two or one? We are only planning on mt. washburn and maybe one other hike but it is better to be prepared.

thbergs - sinks canyon looks neat. We might have to check it out!

Thanks!!