We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

None, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to finalize my accommodations for my mid-Sept trip. I found out some new in-park lodging options came up, I am trying to weigh which of these plans are the best.

Option A:

Colter Bay Lake-side Cabin, Grand Teton (2 nights)

Canyon Lodge -- Dunraven or Cascade Lodge (2 nights)

Lake Hotel Frontier Cabin (2 nights)

Option B:

Canyon Lodge -- Dunraven or Cascade Lodge (3 nights)

Lake Hotel Frontier Cabin (1 night)

Option C:

Canyon Lodge -- Dunraven or Cascade Lodge (2 nights)

Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel Room (1 night)

West Yellowstone (1 night)

I am not sure if i should minimize or cancel my stay at the Lake Hotel inside Yellowstone, as I would be at Grand Teton Jackson Lake for 2 nights. Plus, I remain unable to book a place at Old Faithful area after several tries, but I would be able to explore that geyser area for at least 5+ hours when I drive north from Colter Bay. I suspect it would be cold comes mid-September.

Hope you can chime in. Your comments are highly welcomed. Thanks!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,275 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

Well, comments on location only as I usually stay out of the park (never know until the last minute and can often use frequent flier miles!)...anyway, Canyon and Lake are only a half an hour apart. Is there anything open at Old Faithful? that would put you on the west side of the lower loop. Otherwise, just looking at location, I would tend toward Option C if you don't mind one-night stays.

Pam

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

My first choice would be Option B, as Canyon is a more central place from which to see the park than Lake is. My second choice would be Option A, as at least all the nights are in the park. My last choice would be Option C, as I assume that you are like all the other visitors, much more interested in the park than the tourist towns at the entrances.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,553 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

Book what you can live with, and keep trying for what you want. Cancellations happen- keep checking, web and by phone.

Seattle, Washington
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

Hi, ksumserg,

I'd suggest C.

Like D0bby said, Canyon and Lake is very close. You won't get much different experience from these two places. And you might want to spend some time north Mammoth->Roosevelt->Lamar Valley. It can take several hours to drive between different scene sites.

Here are my itinerary:

Old faithful one night

Lake two nights

Roosevelt one night

Cody one night

Teton one night

Like thbergs said, grab whatever you can get now and change it later, cancellation is free 2 days ahead.

BTW, I used this website to find the available rooms: http://www.nplodgings.com

It sends you email and SMS alert when new rooms become available.

Have fun!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

People generally advising using Xanterra directly for finding lodging. They have all the info and you avoid extra fees.

Seattle, Washington
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

Hi, Bill074,

Yeah, Xanterra is the one officially handles Yellowstone lodgings. The website that I mentioned here (http://www.nplodgings.com) is a convenient tool that helped me keep tracking of room availabilities.

For most of the date-hotels that I was interested in, Xanterra did not have available rooms the first time I checked. So I had to check their website many times a day in hoping there were any rooms becoming available. nplodgings.com removes that tedious part, which was really charming for me :)

They actually redirected me to Xanterra reservation pages and as far as I could tell the prices were the same.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,275 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

Some posters here have reported getting hit with a 10% booking fee from your link satnight. They were also unable to cancel without penalty. Xanterra does not charge and they have very generous cancellation policies.

Pam

Seattle, Washington
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

Hi, D0bby,

Thanks for your reply, just to clarify so other people do not confuse.

The site that I used is: http://www.nplodgings.com, which directly links me to Xanterra. They did no charge *any* fee in the middle.

I think you might have confused it with another site, which I also looked at before the trip: http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/. They do charge a non-refundable 10% booking fee and it is only reserve what is available at the current time.

9. Re: Yellowstone In-Park Lodging Preference -- Please Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 10:16