We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

Knoxville...
4 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

Hello. My family is going on a trip to Yellowstone for the first time. We plan to fly to Denver from Knoxville, TN, and rent a car and drive to Yellowstone. We have about a week for the trip, and I would be very thankful if you guys advised me about the plan and itinerary ideas or highlights along the route.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

Here are the must sees for YNP-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

This will help you plan.

Also when are you coming and where are you staying? Pam one of the DE's is great at giving detailed daily trip plans.

Good luck!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,071 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

..and while you are answering PeachBelle's question, do you have reservations yet and if so where are you staying each night?

I would be happy to do a detailed itinerary for you if you are a detail kind of person. It is easier if I figure it out based on where you are spending each night.

->Off topic...PeachBelle are those Cade's Cove bears you are sporting in your new avatar? Yogi and BooBoo are not going to be happy that you are featuring their Eastern cousins!

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

Yes Pam those are Cades Cove bears- saw lots this weekend- we've been to YNP three times in past five years and saw no bears- did see a grizzly cub in Glacier- so needed a national park fix before going to SW CO in September.

When our Knoxville friends let us know their plans then will be glad to help them since we've flown in and out of Denver.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

Just a thought ... jongheon, driving from Denver to Yellowstone occupies a day of your vacation, and a LONG day at that. Same for the drive back. Are your plans set in concrete? Flying a little closer, like Bozeman or Billings, gives you at least an extra day in the park. There isn't much to see for most of the drive from Denver.

Knoxville...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

It's my first so I don't know any place to stay.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

If coming this year then call Xanterra ASAP- 1-800-GEYSERLAND

Depending on your days then I would try and get 1-2 days in Old Faithful area and 1-2 days in either Canyon or Lake area.

If no in park lodging then look at staying in West Yellowstone, MT which is at the west entrance to the park. (3 nights there and 1 night in Jackson Hole, WY)

Do you have a full week for the trip? If flying into Denver then there is just an idea of what you can do-

Day 1- fly to Denver

Day 2- drive to YNP

Day 3-4-5- YNP

Day 6- drive thru GTNP and stay in Jackson Hole

Day 7- drive back to Denver

Day 6- fly home

Closer airports like Jackson, Billings or Bozeman will save you a full day of driving to and from Denver. Also be sure car rental has unlimited mileage.

Look at the map and link I put on earlier post to see how park roads are like a figure 8 and are easy to drive and see the sites. With three days in the park you can do Old Faithful and geysers one day, Mammoth and Lamar Valley area another day, and Lake, Canyon and Artist Point another day. Then you will have a day to drive down thru Grand Tetons.

Good luck!!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

If you must fly into Denver, and can get a morning arrival flight, you can drive to Lander the first day, then on to YNP the second day. But I agree- try to fly closer if the budget allows.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

In my research for a trip next year, Denver is the cheapest to fly into but is a 10 hour drive.

Salt Lake City is more expensive than Denver, but cheaper than Billings, Jackson, or Bozeman. Drive time is 6.5 hours.

The flight prices I'm comparing are from Baltimore, MD. It may be different from where you are coming.

I could get direct flights to Denver and Salt Lake City. All others were 1 or 2 stop flights with plane changes.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 15:38
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

Be sure to factor in the time, gas for vehicle, extra time for rental car, & extra hotel if taking an extra day from & back to Denver.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Yellowstone for the first time.

We looked at a variety of airports and ended up flying into SLC because we caught a great airfare sale - $167 round trip from ATL to SLC (connected through Houston), so if you haven't booked your flights yet, use a site like Kayak to farewatch a bit to see which airports are within your budget. Also compare airports for rental car costs - it might be that one is better than another on renting a vehicle.

Definitely get unlimited mileage as there is a lot of driving in YNP itself. More than we expected.