We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

I asked a similar question recently sometime back but since I am hearing too many conflicting advices from my friends at work I thought I would post it in the forum for the experts again. I am planning on traveling to Yellowstone via West Yellowstone during the Labor day weekend. I plan to rent a sports convertible (like Camaro or Mustang). Would there be any snow in the paved roads around Old Faithful area or the Lamar/Hayden valley (the places I primarily intend to hit)? I don't believe I should risk the chance of driving a rear wheel drive sports car if it even snows lightly at those higher altitudes.

Also, another question I asked recently but still confused about it: would driving an open top car on the roads be dangerous (do the animals get too close with vehicles on the road)? I will never intentionally drive near to any animal but I am afraid of it happening the other way around (a bit paranoid).

Thanks to your time..

Regards,

Sandy

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

I don't THINK there will be snow yet at that time, but others who live closer to the park than I do may have more experience to be able to answer this question.

On the other question, about wildlife getting close to the road, the answer is yes, they do. We were in the park last week and stopped behind a bunch of traffic. I was driving, so my husband pulled out the binoculars to see what he could see and stated that there was a bison in one lane of the road blocking traffic. He wasn't moving, either. People just had to take turns going around him. This is not the first that I've heard this happening as certainly we have been stuck in a major bison jam in the past and when we finally got through, we realized the reason traffic was moving at such a slow pace was because the herd was actually migrating ON the road through an area where they had no choice (no space on the sides of the road) if they wanted to get through that area.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

Very unlikely but not altogether impossible for snow over Labor Day. If it were to snow to would almost certainly melt quickly. i would not change my plans for fear of snow.

An open top car can be driven safely in YNP. Just stay clear of bison on the roadways, stopping one pullout before them to put the top up, if necessary. I would not change my plans for fear of bison.

I also would not drive a car like you describe on Blacktail Plateau Drive, the old road from Mammoth to Gardiner, or any of the other gravel roads. Stick to the grand loop and the roads from any of the entrances and you'll be fine.

Enjoy!

Edited: 08 August 2012, 21:28
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

There are plenty of motorcycles that drive and tour Yellowstone and do just fine with the bison, etc. so I wouldn't give that too much worry. But to answer your question, yes they do come right up along side, in front of and behind vehicles.

I found the Blacktail Plateau to be very rough with some deep ruts in several areas. I was riding high in my mommy van (03 Pontiac Montana) and bottomed out a couple of times. The first time caught me by surprise (I was going a bit too fast) but after that I drove the rest of the way at a crawl.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

One thing to be careful of, make sure you put the top up when you are gone, even for a short while. Ravens love to check out your stuff and they can even open up coolers and boxes.

Enjoy.... You will have a great trip.

animals.yakohl.com/pop.php?pid=693&nopop=1

…sualize.us/bear_jam_photo_fauna_yellowstone…

tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g60999-d29043…

tripadvisor.com/…25818788

tripadvisor.com/…23333781

tripadvisor.com/…19046952

tripadvisor.com/…19046950

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

Your probably drive on worse roads every day where you live. Technically the Blacktail Deer road is a dirt road and based on every rental car agreement I've read the last 10 years makes it out of bounds technically. (SUV's included) The roads are paved and in very good condition and better cared for than most city or state roads. You are in more danger with the top down driving through virtually any city from the wildlife there. Your biggest concern will be leaving food inside with the top down and the ravens getting it.

If I wasn't cheap I would get a convertible every time for Yellowstone.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 02:18
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
385 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

Two years ago we had snow in the park twice during the week of the Labor Day holiday. The south entrance was closed one morning and Craig Pass was closed briefly.

Last year I had warm and perfect weather during the week of the Labor Day holiday.

Bottom line: you just can't tell from year to year.

But if it does snow it usually doesn't linger for very long once the sun comes out except perhaps on the highest elevation roads like the three passes in the park.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 03:32
Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. Very valuable comments from everyone. Much appreciated.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

I was reminded of this thread after responding to your question on another about wildlife viewing (Lamar vs. Hayden).

I seriously doubt you will be doing much "top down" driving in Yellowstone in September. I would guess it will be way too cool/cold for that. I would suggest a more functional (and less expensive?) car for your trip through Yellowstone.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

I think if every time you get out to view something you have to put the top up so the ravens don't get into things and the chance for very cool weather, I would save the money and get a more functional car. Plus soft tops are very easy to break into so your valuables are never really safe from any kind of animal, wild or human. Save that convertible for the redwoods, imho.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sports car (Rear wheel drive) on yellowstone roads

TimeShare & SusieLou-Thanks for your replies. I think a cheaper SUV sounds like a better option at this moment. Once again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply!