We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report August 1-10

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report August 1-10

Day 1: Flew from Albany to Bozeman with a short stop and connection in Minneapolis. We met our friends from P.A. in Minneapolis and flew the rest of the way together.

I loved the 10:30 arrival in Bozeman, and let me say what a beautiful airport!!! Got our bags quickly and our rental car, we upgraded from a ford expedition to a suburban. Boy am I glad we did....after loading the bags in (only 1 each) I was wondering how we would fit all of our things fro walmart. Made a stop a walmart and the co-op for supplies and food. At first I thought 365 dollars at walmart for supplies seeemed a bit extreme, however , that was food, beer, wine, paper goods, the biggest cooler they had, chairs, coffee pot, a bin with a lid, cork screw, sharp knives, etc. ( i will also let you know what we really didnt need)

Anyway, after lunch at Perkins we were on our way. It is a beautiful ride to West Yellowstone entrance and we enjoyed every minute of that. The traffic in west yellowstone and entering the park was minimal. I was shocked since it was late afternoon. We paid for our park pass, 10 dollars thanks to my hubby,and had our eyes peeled looking for anything that moved!! 5 minutes into the rode we spot our first elk. So very exciting!! then 8 minutes later, theres our first Bison walking along the waters edge. great video ond photos of that!! We were so pumped now!!!!

We drove straight to OF and guess what we found??? All the traffic!!! LOL it seemed like every person in the park was here!!! HOLY COW! we checked in and got cabins right by old faithful. went out to see our first eruption. It is definitely a sight!!! The crowds are really unbelievable!! We decided to get a bit to eat and then walk around the boardwalks. Geyser grill outside table,very nice. ( I will review the rooms and restaurants separately)

After dinner, we head to the visitor's center and then old faithful eruption again for sunset. We crash early as it has been a very long day!!!! But I say to my husband as we cuddle up really close in our DOUBLE BED, "I think we are in for an amazing vacation!!"

Mentioned in this post
st louis
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report August 1-10

Great report. Keep them coming!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report August 1-10

Loving it so far! Can't wait to read more!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report August 1-10

Day 2: Up at 4:45 and out the door by 5:30 ish to do the boardwalks to morning glory pool. What an amazing time we had. 2 hours worth there and back, taking our time to shoot hundreds of photos and take in all of the beauty around us. Not another soul around for quite some time. The sights, sounds, and the smells are just other worldly!! Got some great shots of an osprey sitting right near morning glory pool. and at one point I spotted my first marmot very far away on a rock.

We came back and had breakfast at OF dining room, and it was very good. Both boys had the buffet and us girls had a lovely egg white frittata and fruit. GREAT COFFEE!!

Ready for the day we head off to do Norris and work our way down. Had our first Bison jam which is very cool, and we NEVER, through out the whole trip grow tired of. There is something about the Bison that every time I see them I get this feeling that I can't explain. It for some reason makes me think of our country and freedom.......( and yes I get a little misty here too!! LOL)

We stopped at Gibbon Falls and could see now that people are up and about, so after a few photos head right to Norris. Norris was pretty cool too, it is also getting very warm out now and there are crazy amounts of people. Lunch from the cooler is some beautiful bread from the co-op, different cheeses and salami, and some grapes and nectarines!!! ( YUMMY!)

Firehole canyon and Firehole Lake drives were both nice. But the disappointment came for me when we got to Fountain paint pots. We drove around 3 times and could not park EVER!!! It was insane. So we head to midway and did the whole walk around. This was stunning. We were going to do the hike up to see it from above but my foot from the fusion surgery was really hurting these first couple of days and I did not want to push it. I was a bit upset with myself at first but then knew already this would not be our last trip to the park, so I got over it quickly! Two more osprey were in a tree right at the very end of the walkway,so a few more shots and we were on our way back to OF. Dinner tonight is at snow lodge dining room. Boys have short ribs, which were very bland ( and for the price, that is ridiculous!!) I had just a spinach salad which was good and my friend had the sausage sampler and a salad which were fine. Then we go up to the second floor of the OF Inn for our ice cream....we tried the huckleberry and it was good, and others got mint chocolate chip. We watched Old Faithful erupt and it was a very sweet ending to another long day!!

Mentioned in this post
Norris Campground
Norris Campground
67 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,943 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report August 1-10

Day 3: Up at 4:45 again to leave OF. Coffee and a bagel from the cooler and we drop our keys in the drop box and head to West Thumb. Can I tell you how much I love this place?!! It is gorgeous, especially at sunrise. So quiet. We stroll the entire walkway.....and we are awestruck. The steam and bubbling, along with all of the colors of the sunrise are seriously taking my breath away!! At the end of the boardwalk we decide to use the restrooms, and as my husband goes over to use the one by the trees, he spots an elk just standing there, of course we shoot a couple dozen pictures before he trots off.

We are now heading to the Tetons....for one night, I guess I will post that in the other forum. I will be back with days 4- 10!

Toronto
Level Contributor
690 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report August 1-10

Can't wait to read the next installment. You brought back vivid memories of YS for me.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report August 1-10

Thanks for taking us along on your trip. I'm really enjoying it!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report August 1-10

So glad you had a wonderful time! And you got ice cream!!

I have had the same thing with Artist Paint Pots the last 2 or 3 visits to the park. Lots of tour buses seem to stop there as well, guess because it is a relatively easy hike. They just did that parking lot a couple of years ago, before that you kind of had to wedge in to dirt parking right on the road or park on the meadow side of the road. ANYway, I wondered why they didn't make that parking lot bigger. Maybe the didn't expect it to be so popular.

Can't wait until the rest of your reports.

Pam

8. Re: Trip Report August 1-10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 19:17