We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what a bummer!!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
what a bummer!!

I had spent the last year on this forum planning our first trip to Yellowstone, talking to some wonderful people and having a great time asking questions and reading posts. We had the best time we could have ever had and now I come on here and I feel kinda lost!!! It is such a weird feeling. I am kinda bummed!!! ( is that strange???)

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what a bummer!!

There's a cure for that: Start planning another trip ASAP!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what a bummer!!

That's what I'm doing!!!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what a bummer!!

It is so hard because, we are usually the type of people who dont go to the sa me place more than once, as there are so many things in this great big beautiful world to see........and we have to pick and choose as we are not wealthy by any means!!!

As much as I would go back in a heart beat, we dont know if that is in the very near future. We are thinking Alaska 2014!!! ( next year back to the caribbean, as we missed it this year!!!) Plus we have the new grandbaby, who will take priority over all as she lives in Georgia :(

But I guess I will just keep reading this forum anyway, and maybe helping out someone, as I was helped so much. And you never know, if we win the lottery, we can go anywhere at any time!!!! LOL here's hoping!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,621 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what a bummer!!

Keep reading the forum and try to get a trip planned in the next few years. Also plan on doing some things in and around your visits to see your daughter.

The ones of us who post on the Georgia forum are nice also- but imo the Yellowstone forum is tops!!!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what a bummer!!

HAHAA...I have been on forums for everywhere that we have traveled to....and Yellowstone by far exceeds the others!!! (but I have been on the Georgia forum a few times......and I agree, they are nice as well)

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what a bummer!!

Part of the thrill of the trip is in the anticipation of planning and travel. Just start plotting your next trip.....gets us thru some long winters sometimes...we have been coming to Yellowstone almost yearly since 1991 and can never get enough. It gets in your blood! nothing like it in the world.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,555 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what a bummer!!

I agree to keep coming to the forum. When I do an itinerary for someone, I actually can picture the road in my mind so it is like I am in the park!

Now your goal will be to dig out the nuggets you missed the first time around or things you want to see again! I keep a list of bookmarked things that I come across on here...some in Yellowstone and some in the area around Yellowstone. I keep sticky notes in my Yellowstone Treasures.

For instance, I want to do TetonBill's itinerary from Jackson to the Oregon Trail area near Casper. He also mentioned dinosaur tracks so I've got that bookmarked. On the Montana forum someone mentioned a really neat visit to Lewistown MT and the Hutterite Community.

In the park, next time I will stop at the Hellroarin Trailhead and wait for pikas. I have always wanted to do the *backroad* from behind Mammoth hotel to Gardiner (dirt, one way north toward Gardiner). I am going to stay at Roosevelt and in the cabins at OF thanks to thbergs. (I think I stayed in those about 1960...Mom was horrified there was no bathroom. Everyone in the family was sick with some kind of flu bug. Not fun but it fired my love of Yellowstone!) I want to hike Storm Point thanks to, I think, Denalicat and TimeshareVon.

I'll bet DenaliCat and TimeshareVon will help you with your Alaska trip and of course PB will help with your grandbaby trips!

Pam

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what a bummer!!

withdrawal will be setting in here- past 9 months (late start, lol) has been planning our trip around the daughters wedding & getting relatives sucked in. Now, it is all over- wedding, trip, and last night local reception. As you can see- I am on here before we head up to clean the hall! Any time we mention YNP and someone says Oh, I want to go there" I say- let me know- I'll help plan your trip!! Yep, stay on the board, read trip reports and live through the others you help out.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,555 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what a bummer!!

Laughing at thbergs! Yes, then those friends kind of steer clear of you!

One day before I retired, I heard one of the Doctors saying she and the family were going to Yellowstone. I sat there at the nurses station and did a 4 day itinerary for her! She could not believe anyone could/would do that off the top of their head. (Which was pretty funny because she is the ultimate detail oriented person!) Next, one of the physicial therapists was going and asked for an itinerary (had 2 standard poodles with them so that was harder!), then another Dr.

Then I realized I needed to put it on the computer so I could just print it out.

That's when I noticed people s l o w l y and cautiously moving away from me! lolol!!

Webbsue, it is always good to have a Yellowstone plan in place with things you want to do. You may be surprised and an opportunity for a quick visit may present itself and you will be ready. Kind of like getting a disaster kit organized, only this is a fun, non-scary chore. (Not intending to make light of anyone in the path of cataclysm!!).

Pam

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what a bummer!!

Pam...I guess that is true!! We kind of already know what we will do if we go back. The things we will skip, etc. I wrote these in my daily journal that I kept while on this trip.. i will keep it for a just in case trip!!!!