We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

HILTON
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

We are flying into SLC from NY 9/8. We arrive about 11 am. Plan to drive to West Yellowstone and stay outside the park for one night for free with points. Then stay 3 nights at Canyons in Yellowstone. Was planning to drive back to SLC on 9/12 stay over night to get a 4 pm flight home 9/13. A coworker said it is a big mistake if I do not stop in Jackson. Wondering now if we should only stay in Canyons 2 nights and go to Jackson for one night and possibly see GTNP. Does anyone have an opinion between the two options. We do not plan to be back in the area anytime soon.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

Do you already have lodging at Canyon?

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

I think the answer to this question hinges on what YOU like. Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks are nature and solitude. Jackson is a touristy town (nothing wrong with that, but not my idea of a "big mistake" to miss it).

Edited: 27 August 2012, 02:14
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
576 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

Do you want to just "see" things from your car, or are you interested in walking, hiking, getting outdoors? Personally, I love the Tetons, they are spectacular mountains and definitely worth a trip. It is easy and fun to walk around part of Jenny Lake and take their boat shuttle back, or you can even just take the boat shuttle across the lake and back with wonderful views at the base of the Tetons. A short walk up to Hidden Falls from the boat ramp is worth the time and effort as well.

http://www.jennylakeboating.com/

Another great view of the Tetons that are quick and easy to get to is Mormon Row. jacksonholenet.com/history_museums/mormon_ro…

Jackson is worth a stop. If you had time, it's great fun to take their chair lift up the mountain for some great views.

I would personally go for 2 nights Canyons, 1 one night Jackson and enjoy GTNP. This will add some extra driving time, but will also give you a different route back to SLC.

If you would like a nice drive on the way up to West Yellowstone, just as you come into Ashton, Idaho, follow the byway sign for Mesa Falls. This would be about 1/2 hour more to your drive, but you can stop at Upper Falls to see a beautiful & up close 110 foot waterfall! Well worth the drive, IMO.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,536 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

I am with the group that likes 2 nights in Canyon and then a night in Jackson- the Tetons are beautiful!! Just my opinion!!!

Enjoy your trip!!

HILTON
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

We already have the three nights booked in Canyons in Yellowstone. I booked them months ago. We do like walking around a bit maybe a 2 mile hike at most. We prefer quiet nature areas over tourist areas. If we did go to Jackson for one night is it best to stop at GTNP on the day we leave Yellowstone or go to Jackson to stay over night and next morning go to GTNP before heading towards SLC. Not sure what is the most direct without backtracking. I think we could stay somewhere in between Jackson and SLC because our flights home do not depart until 4 pm .

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

Definitely see Grand Tetons on the way to Jackson. If I were you, I'd plan to spend the better part of the day in the GTNP and then arrive in Jackson for dinner. Spend whatever time you'd like in Jackson in the morning until it's necessary to leave to get to SLC for your flight. Jackson is a scenic town, and it's quaint, but it is highly visited (at least in the high seasons).

HILTON
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

Thanks for the suggestions. We are going to stay only two nights in the Canyons and spend one night in Jackson. The canyon room is around $180 per night. Any suggestion for a decent place in Jackson in that price range.

Thanks again!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,536 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

Buckrail Lodge, Rustic Inn, Lexington Inn are all very good. Wyoming Inn is a bit more pricey.

9. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone, and possibly GTNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 10:18