We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute questions...

Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute questions...

We leave Friday, finally! From W. Yellowstone to do geyers the first full day, what are your favorite picnic spots for lunch?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,333 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute questions...

Actually, when I do the geyser basin from West Yellowstone, I go to the Upper Basin first and then eat lunch at the Lower General Store which is right beside the Old Faithful Inn. Then I head back thru the other basins on my way back to West Yellowstone. If you start at the Upper Geyser Basin, you have the best chance for seeing some of the awesome predictable geysers.

Do either of you have a droid? There is a droid app for geyser times.

You are going to have SO much fun! Take notes for a trip report!

Pam

Houston
Level Contributor
245 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute questions...

One of our favorite picnic spots during our trip were the Sheepeater Cliffs, going from Mammoth to Norris. Lots of shade here, restrooms and it's fun to watch the chipmunks play on the rocks below the cliffs (kids like to play there too!) There's also a river flowing next to it which is popular with fly fisherman.

Another picnic area we enjoyed was on the south side of Dunraven Pass, actually called the Dunraven picnic area. Once again, lots of shade with picnic tables alongside fields of wildflowers (at least when we were there). At the tale end of the meal we saw a grizzly run across a ridge up above the picnicking grounds. That was very cool!

Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute questions...

Pam,

We will be buying suppliles in Cody the day before we do our geyser day, so we will probably picnic somewhere rather than eat at the general store. Of the four of us there is one blackberry and 3 iphones, so no droid! We'll get the eruption schedule at the VC.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute questions...

Here is this if you're interested?

…apple.com/us/app/ynp-wildlife/id441121603…

It's a wildlife app from yellowstonewildlife.com

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,333 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute questions...

OK, well there is a nice picnic area near the beginning of Fountain Flats Drive called the Nez Perce Picnic area. It is #4 on this map, but this may not be far enough for you all for lunch. There is another nice picnic area off the road called Whiskey Flat. There are picnic tables listed at Old Faithful at the East lot, but I have never noticed them so have no idea really where they are located and what the view is there!

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/picnic.htm

Here is a link to the OF area and shows the location of the picnic tables.

I also like Sheepeater Cliffs along with easw, but it would not be in the right area for your geyser day. Very cool about spotting the griz!

The names of the picnic areas are kind of confusing. There is the Nez Perce picnic area between Madison and Old Faithful but there is also the Nez Perce Ford picnic area which is between Mud Volcano and Fishing Bridge on the other side of the park.

Pam

Edited: 28 August 2012, 00:14
West Yellowstone...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute questions...

I was there yesterday and the picnic areas near the Geysers were packed with tourist. I love to picnic in Yellowstone, but the Yellowstone General Store, it was once called Hamilton, has the BEST burgers, so we picnic near the lake because it is usually less crowded and dine at the store when near old Faithful.

If you can’t find a spot open near the Geysers, you can always pull off by the river and eat on the rocks.

Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute questions...

Thanks so much. This is great, and I've been reading this forum for nearly a year and the first time I've seen it!

Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute questions...

Thanks, Pam. I was confused because we plan lunch at the Nez Perce Ford picnic area on the day we drive in from Cody.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,333 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute questions...

Both are nice picnic areas, NP Ford is off the road so much quieter! The Nez Perce picnic area is more open.

The Ford one is a great place to stop on the way in from Cody!

Pam

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute questions...

We found a "secret" picnic area right on the Lake near the medical center. 2 picnic tables and a nice view of the lake.

Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...