We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

we've planned a last minute trip to yellowstone national park (and grand teton national park). leaving on 9/15.

it is our first visit to the parks.

we are currently flying into Jackson Hole (but could possibly change to MT airport).

plan to stay 4 nights in yellowstone.

we would like to see as much of the park's 'top 10's" as possible.

i've read through the forums and am more confused that when i started. i thought that it would be best to stay in one location for the entire stay (old faithful area?) - but now i wonder if it would be better to stay in multiple locations.

The Lamar and Mammoth areas look to be a long drive from Old faithful area.

we are headed to Grand Teton national park for the next 3 nights.

Appreciate your recommendations for Yellowstone.

thank you.

Mount Washburn
Mountains, National Parks
Gibbon Falls
Geologic Formations, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,668 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

I would split my time between OF and the Canyon or Lake area. The Canyon and Lake lodges will be open until September 23. The Old Faithful lodge, etc. is open until September 30.

Flying in and out of Jackson Hole is great unless you can get a super good deal flying in and out of either Bozeman or Billings. Also check car rental rates and be sure you have unlimited mileage when comparing prices.

Enjoy your trip!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

And just to confirm, yes Mammoth and Lamar, in particular, are a distance from Old Faithful. Here is a map link. In Yellowstone you would typically double the distance to get the time needed to travel that portion.

nps.gov/common/…

So, OF to Mammoth is 51 miles so a little over an hour and a half with no stops and no wildlife jams. Lamar adds on another 33 or so miles (to the middle of Lamar) so another hour.

Pam

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

Based on this what locations would you stay On which nights? 1-4

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

At this stage of the game, I would say to see what you can find on Xanterra. I would launch their web page and look to see what is available. Leave it open while you are on the computer and you can see how things change over a day. Call if you need to. Book what you can, then call back to change it. I understand (I do not have personal experience with this!!) that if you call to change reservations instead of re-booking them online, they don't charge you the first night since that has already been charged.

You may need to look at West Yellowstone and or Gardiner which are gateway cities and perhaps split 3 in West Yellowstone and 1 in Gardiner.

Pam

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

Thank you for your recommendations.

If rooms were available everywhere - where would you recommend that we stay (what areas)?

4 nights = 4 different locations? we really want to be sure that we get to all of the KEY areas.

i've been able to get a few different bookings in different locales.

night 1 - old faithful

night 2 - old faithful OR lake

night 3 - lake OR old faithful

night 4 - mammoth.

last night in mammoth not ideal as we then go to Grand teton.

i am continuing to check the bookings site and call as this has changed alot since yesterday morning.

thank you in advance!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

Hmmm...well I would do Old Faithful/Lake/Lake/Mammoth. A better distribution would be OF/OF/Lake/Lake or OF/Mammoth/Lake/Lake, but maybe if you go ahead and book things will come open. It sounds like you have noticed how much they shift around. Amazing really! When you first look at booking it seems impossible.

You could also do OF/Gardiner/Lake/Lake if anything opens up at Lake for that last night. I don't recommend Grant Village very often just because it is so far south, but it might work for your last night if nothing at Lake comes up. It would be nice to stay in one place for consecutive nights though.

Pam

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

well i am still trying to get the 'best' hotel flow. at this point i have the following reserved:

night 1 - old faithful inn (or lake hotel room)

night 2 - old faithful inn

night 3 - mammoth hot springs (hotel room)

night 4 - lake (frontier cabin).

still trying to make some changes - calling again in the am.

really want to be in the best locations to see as much as we can without worrying about long drives back 'home' at the end of the day.

if nothing else opens up i'll need to decide whether to start w 2 nights in old faithful inn or to start and end the trip in lake.

as always suggestions are appreciated!

Edited: 11 September 2012, 02:48
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

I'd vote 2 nights at Old Faithful. There is so much to see in that area. You could spend an entire day just walking around the geyser basin without getting back in your car (and you're coming in from Jackson, so right there plan on a good portion of that day being used up in travel time). Other geyser basins can be reached easily from that location and then return to OF without much hassle. Mammoth on the 3rd night is a good choice and you can save Norris Geyser basin for that day, on your way to Mammoth. There isn't as much to do in the Mammoth area. It's nice to arrive in the late afternoon, view the terraces and then watch the elk come to graze on the grassy areas in front of the hotel as a wind-down from your day. I also enjoy the evening programs they run at that hotel.

Last night at Lake would position you well, but as Pam said, Grant would do well for you, too, if you prefer a lodge setting over a cabin. Lake Hotel also has evening entertainment (piano player most evenings, I think) but you can still access views of a corner of the lake (it's huge!) from Grant Village. And an elk was wandering the parking lot when we stayed there, so that was a plus.

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

I would keep the first two nights at Old Faithful, whatever else you do.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone accomodations - 4 nights -

Unless your main focus in the park is the geysers and thermals, I would continue to do some "tweaking".

With your limited time-frame, I think that 1 night in the OF area is enough. Getting reservations at either Canyon or Lake for your remaining nights would put you in a more central location for seeing the many other sights that the park has to offer.