We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoke Report.... Do Come!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Smoke Report.... Do Come!

I see so many worried about the smoke. Mr DCat & I just got back from a short camping trip & smoke was no problem at all for us.

When we came in the east entrance there was haze ahead in the valleys. But I saw my much desired moose (!!) at the east entrance so the smoke was no big deal. Stopped to show my husband pika at Silvan pass with no smoke.

We camped at Madison our first night & toured the geyser basins with no smoke. Mr DenaliCat was so touched by the 2 OF eruptions. But big thrill was seeing Beehive go off when we were waiting for OF. I was surprised at how low the water was at West Thumb basin & Artists Paint Pots, compared to spring, a result of the drought.

Drove Norris to Canyon rd & saw fire equipment & some smoke, but not much. Cascade Drive is one of the best kept secrets on that road- wow what a cascade & private side loop.

Hiked round grand canyon without any sign or smell of smoke.

Went thru Hayden (wolf on the carcass at Trout Lk/Elk antler Creek that came right thru parking lot & wolves out off grizzly overlook) No smoke in Hayden but quite a few coyotes around.

No smoke over Dunraven. Watched & listened to bugling bull elk with cows on Dunraven. Big thrill!

It looked hazy up toward Mammoth & Gardiner.

No smoke in Lamar. There was dark grizzly boar on a bison carcass for a long time in Little America , very big thrill, & the wolves were at the rendezvous above the hitching post.

It got down to 24F at night & early AM. We wore layers & jackets at lot viewing wildlife, even wool hats & gloves.

I would not worry too much about smoke. Be flexible. Come and enjoy!

Edited: 08 September 2012, 18:11
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

What a great trip report DC. I'm glad that you and Mr DC enjoyed the park together, including some of the geothermal areas.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,116 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

Thanks so much for an update! As you have discovered from your frequent trips this summer, Yellowstone conditions can change on a dime.

Also glad you *got* your moose! My first trip to the park in about 1960 we saw the same bull moose over and over in the same area on the East entrance road.

And Beehive is spectacular isn't it! Just looks like a firehose shooting up into the air.

Elk bugling is so autumnal.

Glad you had fun, yet again and that DH got some geysers.

Did he see any unexpected birds?

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

Yes- it took me 40 days in the park to find my moose after hiking back & forth at Petrified tree, driving Blacktail, looking in all the willow wallows I could fine LOL

We saw a number of hawks that we would have loved to be able to identify.

But most of our time was spent either in the geyser basins (which Mr had never seen!) or watching grizzly & wolves. MrDCat is hooked on bear/wolf watching now. Glad we have our new powerful binoculars.

Now if we could just get a dependable cat sitter for Baby we could come in together more...!

Edited: 08 September 2012, 18:41
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

Thanks for the update, glad to know the smoke wasn't bad. Sounds like a lovely time in the park!

Cathy

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

Glad you had a great time in the park!!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

ps

There was a bit of fresh snow along the Beartooth hwy up by the pass!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,116 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

I was just reading the FB page for Stop the Car Trading Post about snow last night or the night before and wondered if you had seen some!

Pam

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

denalicat, glad to hear your trip was so successful. You have the right approach.

Smoke-seekers will have to go to Jackson for a day or two. The fire south of town has gotten near enough that residents of town south of Broadway and east of (sorry, I forget which street) have been put on notice of possible evacuation. We had showers this morning in Roosevelt Pkwy, but I am not sure how much rain might have fallen south of Jackson. The smoke plume does seem much less today. i wish the people of Jackson and the firefighters all the best.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

We just came through the Tetons & Jackson- grass & hillside trees on still fire south side Jackson. Quite a few fire fighters on it. Smoke of course there.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoke Report.... Do Come!

I am here in Yellowstone now....ispent the last two days in the Mammouth/Lamar area...idid not notice any smoke. Tomorrow moving down to Canyon area.. I would not be concerned with the smoke talk