We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why we love visiting in the Spring!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,567 posts
Save Topic
Why we love visiting in the Spring!

Hi everyone.

Don't know if this has been posted here before, but blog our trips on our website, and videos via YouTube, and we came across this.

I wish we could meet it's standards in our videos, but it really captures why we love to visit Yellowstoine in the spring. Anmyway, if you have not seen it, hope you enjoy it ; ).

www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 12 September 2012, 14:02
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,567 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

I also wish I would learn to proof read my posts before I post, or after I edit them! ; )

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,226 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

Max Waugh is an awesome photographer isn't he? He posts a lot on another Yellowstone forum site and his FB page is excellent as well!

People contemplating May/June visits should watch this, not only for the animal sightings but take a look at weather conditions!

I especially loved the bear cubs, the pronghorn babies and the bighorn sheep babies!

Thanks for the link.

Pam

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,567 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

Hi Pam.

Yes, he certainly is!

We also noted his equipment is not a lot different than ours, so Mrs V is going to do some DSLR video practice in Texas next month, and on future trips, so it's perfected for our next Yellowstone visit, in the outline plan for Winter 2014/15 : ).

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

I started watching this and I stopped because I saw the wolves getting near the bison and babies. Is there "carnage" in this video? I know it's natural and everyone has to eat, but I don't want to watch it. :(

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

This is G-rated, although there is a scene of a wolf tearing at a carcass.

Actually, bison, unlike elk and deer, do a great job protecting their calves against wolves. It's like the calves are protected by a bunch of highly-maneuverable, very angry compact cars. Many a wolf has come to grief messing with a bison calf.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

Outstanding!

Lorna, no visuals of the wolves (or any other predator) taking down babies, so you can watch and enjoy!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,226 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

Lorna, I thought the same thing, but when I realized who the photographer was I knew it would be OK. You have to watch the bear cubs...so cute!

Pam

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

Oh okay-- thanks for the reassurances! I'd read elsewhere how protective of their babies that Bison are, but as the wolves got closer, I turned the video off, just in case.

I'd love to see all the babies in the spring next time we go to Yellowstone and hoped it might be a quieter time of year with maybe less visitors than the end of August had.

I'm heading to work, but will look forward to watching the video when I return home tonight.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,567 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

Sorry Lorna.

I should have said no scenes of that type, or more so warned if there were.

That is another reason we like May or September/October. Even June this year was busier than we really liked. I'm sure I'll never visit in July or August, I'm just not that patient!

Edited: 12 September 2012, 18:57
Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why we love visiting in the Spring!

Love the video it was great ! I also saw the cameras you were using and just wondered can you tell me some of the lens you used I am headed back in 2 week and have been shopping around and I am lost Thank you