We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

Hi

Looking at visiting Yellowstone for the first time in early June, 2013 (for 6 days) and am trying to figure out where to stay inside the park.

At the moment we plan to stay in the following three lodges for 2 days each but wonder if we should limit it to two lodges rather than three - opinions appreciated!

Roosevelt Lodge

Mammoth cabins

Old Faithful Lodge cabins

Thanks

Tim

PS

We know it's going to be possibly cold so bringing plenty of warm clothes!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

I think you have a good mix of lodging. from Roosevelt you can access Lamar, Tower, Dunraven. you will be close to Norris, Swan Flats and Blacktail area at Mammoth. Old Faithful is close to geyser basins and Fountain Paint Pots. You can easily visit Canyon from there or Roosevelt

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

The million dollar question: what are your interests?

Maybe there is something that draws you to Mammoth area. For me, I like to be near Hayden & Pelican valleys for wildlife viewing, so I would personally switch Mammoth to Canyon or Lake.

Have fun planning what is best for *your* interests! Early June has been my favorite time in the park. Lots of wildlife with babies.

Edited: 18 September 2012, 01:02
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

Thanks for your replies. What we would really like to see are spring flowers but am not sure if we will be too early in the season for these.

Would we have more chance of seeing spring flowers at any particular area in early to mid June?

Thanks

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,533 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

Your best flower choice might be along Blacktail Plateau Dr. which is between Mammoth and Tower Roosevelt Jct. The first week of June, I have also seen many wildflowers on the Yellowstone Picnic Area hike which is just east of Tower Roosevelt Jct. (IIRC mostly arrowleaf balsam root, yellow violet, Indian Celery which is from the lomatium family, and probably some more that I can't recall!) It also is going to depend greatly on the weather and whether this winter is really snowy, medium or a dry year. I would also ask Rangers at the Visitor Centers about flowers as well. They have an awesome range of knowledge.

In looking at your lodging choices, I would think you are spending too much time in the Northern Range. I agree with Denalicat, I would keep Roosevelt, drop Mammoth and add Canyon or Lake to get you more in to the central part of the park for a few days. IF however you plan to spend a lot of time in the Lamar Valley wolf watching, then your distribution would be fine.

Pam

Edited: 18 September 2012, 02:37
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

That's great - thanks again for your replies.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

<< At the moment we plan to stay in the following three lodges >>

... and that appears to be a good mix. However, denalicat makes a good point that it depends in part on your interests. The rangers at Mammoth and OF should be able to suggest some hikes.

ENJOY!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

I'll second the comment about Hayden Valley; lots of wildlife, including wolves, both bear species and more, but inquire of the rangers about the wolves.

June is a great time for wildlife and more, so given the iffy weather, layering.

Bring good binoculars.

PS Another recent post, full of information for you: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k57610…

Edited: 25 September 2012, 03:38
8. Re: Itinerary Yellowstone - look OK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 04:18