We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me info on camping in yellowstone in june. This will be my first time to visit and it seems like the weather can be a bit unpredictable. Will it be too cold or very much snow? Thanks!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

Yes, or maybe no. You'll be at high altitude and in June anything can happen. I've tent camped in mid-June and yes it was cold at night but there was no snow when I was there. Another regular on here went in early June last year and there was lots of snow.

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

I guess it's hit or miss do you know do they keep the actual sites pretty clear of the snow?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

It just depends on how much snow there is at the campground whether they keep it plowed. I have seen photos of campgrounds covered in snow in June! The roads and parking pads are probably plowed but the tent areas usually are not cleared.

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

Is there much chance of snow late june early july? How are the crowds, and wildlife viewing?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

I went in tent camping early June this year for 10 days. Yes, it was the coldest of all of my trips into the park this summer, but it was also the most bears I saw all summer, 26! My bear sightings went down in late June, down more in July & August, until the beginning of this month I saw zero!

I had snow on my tent one night. It was windy & a number of the tents were blown, so it's important to stake out completely & well. The snow melted quickly.

I stayed warm & dry with lots of layers, wool hat, gloves, longjohns, warm jacket. There were also sunshirt & shorts days, so daytime got quite warm. Early mornings making coffee to get out to view wildlife & evenings were very chilly. I went to campground ranger talks in the evenings at the amphitheaters bundled up looking like the michelin man LOL.

Later in June it was much, much warmer, but much less bear sightings for me. More people too.

Early June is my favorite time of year in the park. Not the crowds of July & August, plus lots of wildlife, including the little babies. Next year I will be there the later part of May & June.

Edited: 22 September 2012, 23:54
PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

Thanks for all the info! I was also wondering how the roads are that time of year as I would be traeling in a small car?

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

<< Is there much chance of snow late june early july? How are the crowds, and wildlife viewing? >>

Not much chance ... not too bad ... can't miss.

8. Re: Camping in Yellowstone Early to Mid June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2013, 10:15