We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Many questions:

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Many questions:

Fellow travelers:

So, now that we have tohe plane tickets, it is time to plan with your great help. We will arrive at Jackson Hole on the 10 of June around 2:30 p.m. and plan to visit Jackson and sleep over that night there. Next morning we will drive to YNP and spend 5 days in the park, then we will return and spend 3 ays at GTNP.

We are two adults and two kids in the early teens. We love nature and easy hikes.

I have many, many questions, so here there are some:

-How should I divide my stay in YNP? What lodges do you reccomend? I am assuming all lodges will have heat and warm water.

-Is staying out of the park an option?

-Any particular route suggested for my driving?

-Are there any snolw activities offered so late in springtime at the park or nearby areas?

-What should be lodging choices for GTNP?

Thanks and please keep the suggestions coming!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,226 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Many questions:

Yes, all lodging has heat of a sort and hot water. There are some of the cheaper cabins that have shared bathroom facilities, but you don't have to stay there if that is not comfortable for you. None of the facilities has wifi or TV.

If you want to stay out of the park the best choices are West Yellowstone and Gardiner, especially if you need the aforementioned wifi and TV! lol

With 5 nights, I would go 3 at Canyon or Lake and 2 at Old Faithful or if you stay out of the park, 3 in West Yellowstone and 2 in Gardiner.

I would be happy to do a detailed itinerary for you when you have your lodging set. Some people like details, some don't, so it's up to you and what will work for your family.

I like the guide book Yellowstone Treasures for planning and to have with me in the park.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,226 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Many questions:

Just realized I missed a question. Altho you might have snow, there are no real snow activities that time of year.

Pam

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Many questions:

Thanks , DObby! I have not had a TV set for the past 20 years, so that is not a concern for our family. I will look into the lodges and let you know,

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Many questions:

Sorry, I am back. Would that be in that order? - Canyon and then Old Faithful if I am driving from Jacson Hole?

Thanks

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,226 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Many questions:

It would not really matter. Here is a link to the official map of Yellowstone you will get at the gate, but it is so handy for study ahead of time.

nps.gov/common/…

Both sets of lodging are on the lower loop, just the east side and the west side.

I looked at your prior post and see I gave you different advice last time, lol! I suggested one night in Roosevelt, which would still be good if you want to move 3 times. Roosevelt is the most rustic of the lodging areas. There are a few cabins available with en suite bathrooms, but you have to call to book those. The others have shared facilities. The heat is a stove in the cabin. If you do Roosevelt, I would do it between your Canyon/Old Faithful or Old Faithful/Canyon lodging.

Some people don't read the Xanterra site very well when booking and are shocked and appalled that there is no TV/wifi. When I stay in West Yellowstone, I only turn it on for the weather anyway, so I can do without as well.

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Many questions:

With your mentioned love of nature, I would add a night at Roosevelt Lodge to be close to Lamar valley, teaming with wildlife: 2 nights at Old Faithful, 2 nights at Canyon & 1 night at Roosevelt. Just to confuse the issue LOL!

Have fun planning!

EDIT: Ha ha Pam.... we were typing at the same time! Great minds think alike.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 15:39
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Many questions:

Ok. I am about to reserve OF Snow Lodge for two nights. Good Choice? Are there any better? Thanks!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,226 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Many questions:

Snow Lodge is the newest lodging at Old Faithful, having opened in 1999. Many like the ambiance and history associated with the Old Faithful Inn, many like the cabin atmosphere. Whatever you book you can change!

Laughing at Denalicat...yes, great minds!

Pam

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Many questions:

OF inn is sold out for 4 people. I know these xanterra rooms get cancelled all the time, so I will keep checking. What would be my choice at the lake or canyon area?

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Many questions:

Another thing:

what is grant village lodge?

Thanks