We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

Sorry to be back, but Canyon lodge rooms seem to be available today for my dates. I have a reservation for 2 nights at a Frontier cabin. What would be the difference of staying at the Canyon Lodge hotel instead? Thanks!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

No need to apologize!

I have stayed at the Canyon Lodges twice, but have never stayed in the cabins. Both use the same main lodge building as the base for services such as dining, check-in, shopping, etc.

The Lodge buildings are newer but further away than the cabins. Many people here on the forums really love the cabins. I can't really speak to the interior furnishings of the cabins, other than to say that the accommodations are generally well-represented in photos on the Xanterra website. The outsides of the cabins look less appealing to me than the lodge buildings as they appear rather dated on the outside (not the nice "parketecture" I've come to appreciate.) Without checking, I'd say the cabins look like they were built in the late 60s or early 70s. Based on all the nice reviews from folks here, I wouldn't hesitate to book one if it was my only option, but if I had a choice, I'd still stay in the lodge building. The Lodge buildings also have small gathering rooms to relax in if you need space to get out of your hotel room (so as not to disturb an early-to-bed or late riser, for instance) without leaving the building. Bison tend to hang out in the parking lot and it's best to be cautious walking early morning or late at night (although a free shuttle service to the main lodge building is available with a phone call to the front desk).

The only other difference, and this may be the deciding factor, is cost.

Hope this helps!

edited to add: Just did a quick Google images search for images-

yellowstone.net/reservations/…

and tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60999-d226608-…

Edited: 25 October 2012, 15:59
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

Isn't it a $90 difference between the two?

I personally would go for the cheaper cabin as most folks in Yellowstone spend little time in the room except to sleep :)

Hopefully someone who has stayed in both will chime in to compare.

Edited: 25 October 2012, 17:31
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

Yes, the difference is big, but there I need three nights at Canyon and were not able to book one of them.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

If I find Frontier cabins available for three nights in the future, I would give them a try

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

I guess my question would be more appropriately put:

If money were not a concern, would stay at Dunraven or Frontier Cabins?

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

Look at the pictures of the frontier cabins before you decide. The Western Cabins are updated, with relatively new beds and seem very clean. The frontier cabins, not so much. While I agree with one of the posters who says that you are not in your room much, with 3 days you will be there some. As I recall, you have young kids, who get tired and may need some "down time". I booked a frontier cabin at Lake Yellowstone and almost cried when I saw it. The beds were old and saggy, the room camped and altogether depressing. Fortunately, this was in May and there was room at the Hotel itself for us and we stayed there.

Mentioned in this post
Yellowstone Lake
Yellowstone Lake
1,519 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

So, because the price is relatively the same, would you prefer the Western Cabin or a Dunraven room for Canyon area?

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

I have never stayed in the lodge, so I can't answer. I have stayed at the Western cabins at Canyon and found them perfectly acceptable. Large, clean, with lots of light. I like the setting. Cabins are arranged in quads in the trees. One of the ones I had was next to a trail to view the falls and you could hear the falls from the outside of the cabins. Pretty cool. It is a trek or a car ride to the dining room there. The plus of the lodge would be that you could leave the kids in the room while you hung out it the lobby to read or whatnot. I assume, but do not know, that the lodge lobby has a fireplace and seating. I liked the cabins and the feeling of being in nature so I would stay in the cabin if I had a choice. When I booked the western cabin the first time, both the lodge and the western cabin were available so I asked the Xanterra employee and she recommended the cabin for size and privacy.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

To clarify, the lodges (Cascade and Dunraven) are separate buildings apart from the check-in desk area and restaurants. In order, as I see it, from the main road, you first encounter the "village" area which includes the NPS visitor center, a couple of stores (general and "Adventure" store), a dining room and snack bar and a bar/lounge; then the cabins, both Frontier and Western, are scattered behind the "village", with the campground off to the side and then the two lodge buildings behind those. It is a fairly distant walk by some standards to get to the dining options, but there is the option to drive.

The lobby in the Cascade and Dunraven lodges is a smallish seating area with no fireplace and no TV. Just a few couches and small tables in a rustic style that can be used for gathering, reading, playing games, etc.

I think for a family that may have different bedtimes, etc. this could be a good thing and something you won't have the ability to access without going outdoors (remember, bison and potentially bears, could be wandering the parking lot at night and early morning). We had a nice view into the forest from our Dunraven lodge window during our last visit, and there was a bull elk bugling and gathering up his ladies, which we could hear, but not see, in that forest. To my knowledge, you don't reserve either the Dunraven or Cascade lodge room. Rather, you reserve a lodge room and you can request one or the other. But I don't see any significant difference between the two, and I've stayed in both.

That's just my 2 cents. As I've disclosed before, I've never stayed in the cabins at Canyon, so I really can't offer the pros on those. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Frontier
Frontier
Wyoming
10. Re: Canyon Lodge or Cabins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...