We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

Centereach
Level Contributor
157 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

How long is the drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful, I want to be there early in the morning to take photos before it crowds up. We are going mid June. .........we wanted to stay one night at Old Faithful but there is only one expensive choice and it may not be worth it if the drive is not so long.......we are staying two nights at Canyon later on in the week............... thank you

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,882 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

It usually takes us about 1- 1 1/2 hours if we do not stop along the way for photos and there are no bison jams.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

About 6 to 12 ours if you stop to see everything and take photos along the way.

I'd say that the crowds don't get too bad until after 9:00 but it was really peaceful at 7:00. :^)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,895 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

If your objective is to simply get to Old Faithful and not take in scenery along the way, you can easily do it in 45 minutes early in the morning before traffic. It's only 30 miles. It is quite a peaceful place early in the morning.

Do continue checking on lodging availability. With the very liberal cancellation policy, you do tend to get very wild fluctuations in availability over time - even right up to the last day or so.

Have fun.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

6 to12 hours? From West Yellowstone to Old Faithful?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

>>>6 to12 hours? From West Yellowstone to Old Faithful?<<<

I could see that if as that posted stated "if you stop to see everything and take photos along the way." I don't see that being the case, however, for the person seeing the info. I agree, it should be something around an hour if under normal driving conditions and minimal "must stop" photo ops along the way.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,645 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

You have the advantage in June of having sunrise around 5:38 so you can actually leave around 5 if you are early risers + being on East Coast time. (www.sunrisesunset.com) Even if you are there by 8 you will be ahead of the crowds. There is a nice ranger led tour at 830.

If you have not booked your West Yellowstone accommodation yet, make sure you know what their cancellation policy is so you can grab something when it opens up at OF. I would probably wait to book in West Yellowstone til later unless you are trying for the Alpine which books early.

Another thing to be aware of is that West Yellowstone is not an *early* town. Most places don't open for breakfast until 6:30 or 7. I think McD's opens at 6. If you do want an early start, I recommend having breakfast stuff you can fix in your room. Some motel desks are also not open that early! In fact, Three Bear Lodge has a huge door pulled across their lobby area. If you are checking out that day, I also recommend making arrangements with your hotel for an early check out.

If this will be your only day with an entrance thru the west gate, I would encourage you to take your time. Early AM is just gorgeous on this road (after the first 5 miles or so which is thru piney woods) with mist rising from the Madison and sunlight filtering thru it.

Pam

Centereach
Level Contributor
157 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

thanks everyone, an hour is very doable as we are early birds, on the second day we can stop and take photos that we missed getting there early on day one..........we plan to do arrival in Jackson, stay overnight, 2 days in West Yellowstone, 2 days in Canyon, 1 day in Cody and 2 days in Grand Tetons, leave next morning from Jackson.........first time in Yellowstone, very excited !

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,645 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

OK, that will work really well. You will also be kind of oriented to the area as you will doubtless drive it to get from Jackson to West. On your first afternoon when you drive in from Jackson, I would get the lay of the land at the Visitor Center and the parking lots and pick up the brochure at the OF Visitor Center of the geyser basin.

When you come in early the next morning, I would park in the parking lot in front (geyser-side) of the Old Faithful Inn instead of by the Visitor Center. To get there, take road for the first sign that says *gas*. That takes you by the small Lower Gas station, the Lower General Store and into the front lot. This puts you directly geyser-side. By afternoon it is pretty full and tour buses park here so it can be difficult to get into. To me it still has less congestion than the parking lots in the front of the Visitor Center and less pedestrian traffic streaming back and forth. Here is a map link. The parking lot I am talking about is the big P just to the left of where it says Old Faithful geyser.

nps.gov/features/…oftourmap.htm

(This will actually make more sense once you get there!)

Pam

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

My "6 to 12 hours" post was tongue-in-cheek but it will be hard not to stop for pictures when the big bull elk with his antlers in velvet stands alongside the road and of course there is the 50 head bison herd coming down the road and passing on both sides of your car. You also could be surprised by the eruption of one of the geysers and need to get a picture of that since it isn't one of the predictable ones. It really is hard to follow a schedule when in Yellowstone.

Centereach
Level Contributor
157 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drive from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful

thanks DObby, sounds like a plan......and RM-MN, I knew your post was tongue in cheek, not wasted on me, it will be hard not to stop for photos along the way, maybe I should leave 3 hours early !