We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

Montgomery
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

I'm going with a tour group to Yellowstone in February and since I live in the south, don't have much access to stores that sell snowboots. I have found a few pair that are water-resistant, but not water-proof. Would those be adequate for being outside in a Wyoming winter?

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

Hello,

I don't think what you are thinking will cut it. Not only should you have waterproof boots b/c eventually the snow will melt off your boots (in heated cars etc making your feet wet), but you will need boots that are insulated and rated for very cold weather (0 below), especially if you intention is to spend some time outside. Even if the weather is not that cold, your feet and body will thank you for it, especially if you are not used to cold weather. The last time I was in Yellowstone in March via snowcoach, we had 35 degree below mornings.

So, on that note, look for boots that can accomodate this. Many who live around this area trust in Sorels. But of course, there are many other brands to choose from.

Places to look for cold snow boots are Sierra Trading Post, REI, Campmor, LL Bean etc.....

Good luck and Have Fun!

Edited: 13 November 2012, 23:50
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,123 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

Agree with BBD and will also recommend Land's End. I also think it is good to have something like YakTrax which are basically tire chains for your feet. They come with a soft rubber piece you pull on over your boot. If you are out in the geyser basins it can be pretty slick as the steam and heat lead to icy conditions on the boardwalks.

My Costco has 2 pr for ~$20 a couple of weeks ago. This product may or may not be carried in Montgomery. If not you can order them from online retailers. It does not have to be the brand YakTrax, altho they are awesome.

I was looking at snow boots yesterday in a local store and see *moon boots* are back. They are easy to get on and very warm.

Also look for warm socks, either Smartwool (they are kind of expensive) or other socks sold online as winter socks.

Pam

Gardiner, Montana
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

I have also always been happy with my Columbia boots, and they can be found for a pretty reasonable price. SmartWool socks are excellent, but any wool blend should work. My family in SC has always had good luck finding winter gear online at Sierra Trading Post - they have a lot of great quality brands and good deals.

Spare Spikes are another good option to Yak Traks - they are a bit more expensive (mine were about $30) but it can worth it depending on what makes you more comfortable. Yak Traks work better on snow but don't do much for ice, and spare spikes are better for ice. The snow itself is pretty dry in the park, so I've really liked the extra ice traction the spare spikes give.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

I now live in southwest Florida, and we have little in the way of cold weather outdoor retailers here as well. You do have two Bass Pro stores close by. One in Leeds, and one in Prattville, and they also offer on-line shopping, as do Cabelas, and Gander Mountain. They are my go-to stores for colder weather gear.

Since I am originally from the northeast, I know all too well that if your feet are cold, it will be impossible to keep the rest of your body warm. One thing you do not want to skimp on is good, comfortable, warm footwear.

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

I am from Mississippi. My son and I took a winter trip at the end of 2010. I had no winter gear at all. I did a lot of research and ended up getting columbia boots from shoes.com. I waited for the thanksgiving sales and got 25 % off and free shipping. I bought lots of wool socks-- bass pro shops and wal mart. We were there 10 days and I had no problems. We stood in the snow watching wolves for 1 and1/2 hours in -15 degree weather. Toes started to feel a little chill at the end of that time. So I was very happy with my boots. Amazon is another good online place for boots

Edited: 14 November 2012, 14:14
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

For my winter travel to Alaska, as well as just "around here" in Wisconsin, I swear by Sorels. You can find them online, often on Ebay, for a great price. Be sure whatever you buy, you get them at least one size larger than you need so that you can wear a second pair of good (merino wool) socks.

Montgomery
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

Thanks for clarification. I wasn't sure about the exact difference between waterproof and water-resistant. Snow melting into my boots and keeping them wet is definitely something I do not want!. Was trying to avoid on-line ordering since I'm hard to fit, but looks like that's what I'll need to do.

Montgomery
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

Thanks. Actually I did buy a pair I thought might work at Bass Pro shop, but after wearing them around the house for about 15 minutes, knew I had to return them. (Have an ankle bone that's kind of messed up due to a break several years ago, and the boot pressing against it was actually hurting). So, back to the drawing board via computer.

Montgomery
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

I've been browsing Land's end and LL Bean, etc, and thanks to all of you, I now have a better idea of what I need.

Montgomery
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Type of boots for Yellowstone in February?

I hadn't thought about chains for my boots, but that's going to be one of my priorities now. Being a "senior citizen", in age anyway, I sure don't want to slip and fall. Thanks.