We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier National Park

Ellicott City, MD
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier National Park

Anyone have suggestions on how to add a trip to Glacier from Yellowstone in August 2013?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier National Park

How much time to you have for your trip? Yellowstoine, Grand Teton and Glacier are all wonderful parks and each really require several days to see (and even then you will not "see it all"). Also, were you planning on visiting Grand Teton National Park during this trip. Yellowstone and Grand Teton are adjacent to each other and make a great pairing. It is a 6 hour plus drive from the norther entrance of Yellowstone to the Many Glacier (east side) of Glacier, so you will spend a couple of days of driving between the parks.

Have you reserved your flights yet? If you want to combine Yellowstone and Glacier perhaps flying into Bozeman or Billings, MT, as these are sort of between Glacier and Yellowstone.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier National Park

We did a Glacier trip with our Yellowstone trip in August 2010 but had been to Yellowstone in both 2007 and 2008.

I was lucky enough to get great one way car rental rates and we flew into Spokane and made the beautiful drive up thru Polson and Flathead lake to Kalispell then drove the GTTSR and visited east Glacier, St. Marys and Many Glacier. We then drove down the east side (front range of the Rockies) thru miles and miles and miles of ranch land to the north entrance of Yellowstone. We then toured part of Yellowstone- Old Faithful, Mammoth, Lamar Valley and drove the Beartooth Hwy toward Billings. We flew out of Billings.

We spent about 9 days on this trip.

Great ideas from OhioHick also. If you want to use the same airport then Bozeman or Billings would be best.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier National Park

We are returning to YNP and GTNP next July (2014) and this time we'll be adding Glacier. Because I love to plan, I've already been researching & pricing different configurations and I think I've found what works best for us.

We are planning on a 2 week trip this time. It looks like the best option for us is to fly into Bozeman and then work our way down YNP, then through the Tetons, then back up through Yellowstone and then head to Glacier. Our return flight will be out of Kalispell.

I've been tracking prices for awhile now using every combination of airports (and checking out rental cars too) and this is what works best for us at this point. I found that rental cars were outrageous flying into Kalispell and out of Bozeman, but not the reverse. Also, I couldn't consistently find unlimited mileage on a car when doing round trip in & out of Bozeman.

I was hoping to post our very tentative itinerary for some feedback soon, but I was a little embarrassed because our trip is so far out. However, I hear that reservations need to be way in advance for Many Glacier so I guess I'm not too crazy for working on things so early! :)

4. Re: Glacier National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 December 2012, 18:21
Edited: 28 December 2012, 18:21
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
855 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier National Park

I agree with OhioHick. Glacier and Yellowstone are both large parks requiring overnight stays in three or four different areas each if you really want to get a good sense of the whole picture. Unless you're planning a megatrip, focus on Grand Teton National Park, which is directly below Yellowstone, instead. It's one of the iconic mountain ranges of the United States, and it's so close to Yellowstone that it would be a shame not to see it if you're in the area, along with the town of Jackson. Plan a trip to the different areas of Glacier, along with a sidetrip to it's sister park Waterton right across the Canadian border, for another year.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier National Park

Voyaging- I may be wrong, but I don't think that the OP here is the same one that you linked above. I was confused at first too because of the like names that posted all in a row...kittenkats, kitten123, and NYkittykat.

kittenkats...how long are you planning for your trip?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier National Park

Thanks, floridascgirl. Too many Cats in the Hat! :) I removed my post.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glacier National Park

OK, I'm an expert cat herder....just ask the folks at the Utah meet-up. Holler if you need help sorting the cats ;-)

9. Re: Glacier National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2014, 10:18