We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

New York City
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

Hello - looking for information about the 2 hour ride at Roosevelt. We will have two children who are first time riders on the trip. Are there any ledges? Any safety concerns? Would the two hour ride at Canyon be a better choice?

Thank you!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

Horseback rides in Yellowstone are about as safe as horseback riding can get. Several wranglers accompany the riders, and safety is their biggest concern. That said, there's always some risk when you mount a horse, and riders have been injured riding at Roosevelt (with one tragic fatality this last year).

For an inexperienced rider, 2 hours on a horse can get pretty uncomfortable. When we have visitors from the East, I generally suggest starting with a one-hour ride. Sitting a horse for 2 hours, if you're not used to it, can be almost crippling.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 17:00
Gardiner, Montana
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

I definitely agree with TetonBill in terms of the 2 hour ride being tough for someone inexperienced. All of the trails used for the in-park rides are geared towards all levels of riders, so you will not encounter any additional risks (aside from those mentioned above that are inheirent with getting on any horse) such as steep drop offs or areas that require any advanced riding skills.

Also, how old are your children? For all rides within the park, children have to be at least 8 years old and 48 inches tall.

New York City
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

thanks so much for the feedback. we will stick with the one hour ride. do you have an opinion about mammoth or canyon for the scenery?

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

Roosevelt is my favorite but I've never done Canyon so I'm biased :)

Gardiner, Montana
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

Mammoth is definitely beautiful, but between those two I would vote for Canyon :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

I've never done Roosevelt or Mammouth, but a few years back I took my 8 year old at the time on a one hour ride at Canyon and it was honestly one of the nicest "short rides" I've ever taken. We really enjoyed the variety which isn't always the case when you take a one hour ride. We rode across a small meadow, through the woods, went to the rim of the canyon (though you couldn't see the falls and it was more like you touched the rim and turned away from it rather than actually standing there gazing down) before turning around and heading back. On the ride, we saw where a grizzly had scratched a tree with its claws, some elk and even buffalo. The ride was basically on the flat and certainly suitable for any age and experience of a rider. I've heard good things about the Roosevelt ride as well so I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 20:15
Dupont, Washington
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

I would tell you to take the one hour ride at Roosevelt. I am biased since I am a wrangler there, but I've been told multiple times by guests and employees that we have the most beautiful one hour and two hour trail. Yes there is always risk when riding horses, but I can assure you that we have some amazing horses in Yellowstone. We also have certain horses designated as "kids horses" who are extremely calm and great for younger children who may have issues telling their horses what to do.

Mount Vernon...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

We have reservations for the Roosevelt Cookout in July. Our girls are ages 11 & 13. I have heard that anyone under 12 rides in separate group in the front with the wranglers. That would mean our 11 year old would ride by herself. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

9. Re: 2 hour horseback ride at Roosevelt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:17