We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone in May!

Andover, Minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone in May!

Planning our first trip to Yellowstone this coming May. We are looking at the Lake Hotel but it's being renovated. What is the annex like? My husband is slightly handicapped (no wheelchair necessary, but stairs and long walks are difficult). Also, do you recomment two night at OFI and two night at Lake Hotel or Cabins?

Jocelyn

Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone in May!

I have terrible knees and other joint problems. I thought the OF area was very accessible. I didn't go to the Lake lodging area.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone in May!

May is a time of great changes in Yellowstone, comparable to March in Minnesota. There is likely to be lots of snow in some areas, some roads may be closed depending on what time of May you would arrive, and not all facilities will be open at least part of May.

With that in mind, what time of May did you plan to visit and how set are your dates?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,862 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone in May!

Location-wise, I like 2 nights in the Old Faithful area altho not necessarily in the Inn. The SnowLodge is newer and I wonder if it might be more accessible. I am just thinking out loud here, as I've stayed at Snow lodge but never at OFI, so can't say for sure. One of the lodging experts WILL know! That would go nicely with 2 nights in the Lake area.

Pam

Andover, Minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone in May!

We will arrive around the 20th and stay for 4-5. We are stuck on this time frame and it was recommended by relatives who frequent the park to avoid large crowds that start in early June.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,960 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone in May!

We've been twice at that time and you just never know about the weather. In 2007 it was warm and sunny but in 2008 it was cold, snowing, and icy. Had a great time both years but be prepared for the cold weather and road closures.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone in May!

I was in Yellowstone in early to mid June and didn't notice it being particularly crowded but thought it nice to have more decent weather and all the roads open. Some of the hikes we did were pretty empty, sometimes just my wife and I on the trail. There sure were a lot of baby animals to be seen then too.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone in May!

I have lodged in the Old Faithful Inn a number of times in different room/wing locations. The "Old House" rooms, which are the very first built at the Inn before expansion are close to the lobby and involve the least stairs. They are also the least renovated, which is either charming or not your cup of tea. As an example, we had a mouse rooming with us on one visit. I suspect they're everywhere in the Inn, but having the exposed timber walls makes it easier for them to get in and out of the guest rooms in the Old House.

Slightly newer rooms are available with plastered (?) walls just a little further out in the wings. Trying to remember, but I think there are no stairs to navigate to get to the first set. Then things get complicated. The East Wing (I believe that's where we stayed, I get all turned around at Old Faithful) have points at which you must choose to go up or down stairs. There are elevators available for the short staircase, but I'm not certain that they are available without any stair climbing.

Old Faithful Inn has Accessible Rooms for rent. I would suggest calling Xanterra directly and talking with them about the options and trying to secure a reservation for one of the Accessible Rooms just to be safe.

Or reserve at the Snow Lodge. As Pam pointed out, it is much newer and I believe would have been built to comply with the ADA. It is a very nice property; more expensive and less historic, but still very nice.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone in May!

For Lake lodging I would not stay in the Annex. Call Xanterra as Flagstaff mentioned and let them know you would like an accessible room. Lake Hotel and Lake Lodge both have handicap accessible rooms which would eliminate the stairs although the non accessible rooms only have a few stairs anyways.

Andover, Minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone in May!

Thanks everyone! This is all very helpful. Yellowstone is a place that my husband and I have never been and he requested to go there. it's always a bit of a challenge with his limitations, but this has been extremely helpful.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,862 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone in May!

I realize your husband is not in a wheelchair, but this Accessibility guide might be helpful. You can also ask for a copy when you come thru the entrance gate. I think the good thing is it shows where on the boardwalks there are stairs or steep patches, especially in the geyser basins. It can help you figure out which way to go. Some areas (I am thinking Mud Volcano?) I believe at the beginning of the trailhead tells you which way is the easier way to go first.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/loader.cfm…

Pam