We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lodging "12 miles west" of the West Entrance too Far?

Norwalk
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is Lodging "12 miles west" of the West Entrance too Far?

I’ve been to many national parks, but this will be my first visit to Yellowstone, and I am so excited to get there. But I know nothing (yet) about the area.

I’m looking at lodging located near Two Creek Road & Meadow Creek Road, about 2 miles east of Highway 20.

I’m told it’s 12 miles from there to the West Yellowstone entrance (though mapping out the route seems more like 20 miles to me).

Does this seem like a reasonable distance to travel each day to get to the Park? I’ve traveled more shorter, and much, much longer distances, to get to certain parks -- the Needles district of Canyonlands comes to mind. ;)

1. Re: Is Lodging "12 miles west" of the West Entrance too Far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 02:15
Edited: 10 July 2016, 02:15
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,540 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lodging "12 miles west" of the West Entrance too Far?

I am sure it is in a beautiful area because I've snowmobiled up in there, but I agree with Ystoner and wonder how long it might take to get from the lodging to the road. Is the road from the accommodation out to Hwy 20 paved or gravel and how long is that road?

Pam

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lodging "12 miles west" of the West Entrance too Far?

We stayed in West Yellowstone for 3 days on our trip last summer and although it's a beautiful drive from the West entrance into the park, we grew a little tired of the "commute" each day so can't imagine tacking on even more time with a stay 12 or more miles from West.

Also, we had to be mindful of when sunrise and sunset would be and time our driving out of and back to West accordingly so we wouldn't be driving in the dark which we were warned not to do because of wildlife on the roads, so the distance of driving cut into the time we would've liked to spend in the park.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Lodging "12 miles west" of the West Entrance too Far?

i'd say,if you're gonna stay on the west side, stay in w. yellowstone.... there are plenty of lodging options there....

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Lodging "12 miles west" of the West Entrance too Far?

I'd say, if you want to visit Yellowstone get lodging in Yellowstone.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Lodging "12 miles west" of the West Entrance too Far?

I would add that if you are visiting in the summer months, the traffic will make the commute take even longer.

7. Re: Is Lodging "12 miles west" of the West Entrance too Far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 06:18