We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

We are planning our first trip to Yellowstone for July 2013. My husband spoke to a Yellowstone lodging rep (Xanterra) who recommended moving around for the 5 nights. The rep suggested we see a different area of the park as we made our way to the next lodging. That way we would not be driving too much each day.

We are staying the first night in Grant Village, then 2 nights at Old Faithful Inn, then 1 night at Canyon Lodge, and our final night at a Mammoth Hot Srings cabin. We'll spend the last 2 nights of our trip in Jackson.

Does this sound like a good plan, or are we moving around too much? Any advice from experienced Yellowstone would be appreciated!

Edited: 26 January 2013, 19:10
Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
592 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

Are you flying in to somewhere? That would help determine which lodges are the best for your route. Some people are ok moving each night, I however like to stay at least 2 nights in one place so you're not constantly packing/unpacking and checking in/out.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

I would definitely eliminate the night at Grant - that's not really well-positioned for sightseeing. I would also eliminate the night at Mammoth - IMO that area of the park can easily be seen as a day trip from Canyon - which is where I would suggest adding 2 more nights. It's centrally located, and you can easily access the rest of the park from there, after your 2 nights at OF.

Take a look at the interactive map of the park on the YNP website - it will help you visualize where these places are: www.nps.gov/yell

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

I usually don't like moving around either, but I'm making an exception on our next Yellowstone trip. The last trip we did, we spent all four nights in West Yellowstone, and it was just more driving than I prefer each day.

This time we are flying in and out of Bozeman. We are doing a Mammoth Hot Spring lodge stay the first night to avoid having to set up camp in the dark and to be at a slightly lower altitude than Canyon our first night, camping in Canyon for two nights, and then staying at Snow Lodge in the Old Faithful area, so we are doing three different places for our four nights.

We'll have to see what we think // very different from our normal trips wihich are typically one place for a full week stay or a few day stay if it is a mini trip. What we're doing here in Yellowstone is not my preference, but with the park being so vast and so spreadout we're making an exception to hopefully have a more enjoyable mini trip here than we did last time. Yellowstone is very cool, but traffic and getting around can be a pain. We're hoping in park lodging and no back tracking will cut back on that driving that just seemed a bit too much last time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,402 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

I would go with 2 nights at OFI and 2 nights in Canyon and then 1 at Mammoth or 2 nights OFI and 3 nights in Canyon. I agree Grant is too far out of the way.

Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

Thanks for all the comments. We are flying into Jackson Hole, and there will be 6 of us. We thought that Grant would be a convenient place to crash the first night. We figure it will be dinner time before we made it there since we have to stop for supplies and for gawking at the scenery on the drive to Yellowstone! We need 3 rooms, and accommodations inside the park were pretty slim. Our other option was to stay the first night in the Jackson / Grand Teton area.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,402 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

I would stay the first night in Jackson/Grand Teton area. You always hope your plane will be on time and then you need to get supplies, etc. I would look at Signal Mt. and Colter Bay in GTNP or stay in Jackson Hole.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

<< Does this sound like a good plan, or are we moving around too much? >>

Sounds good to me. Your reasoning makes sense.

I would not skip Mammoth, as someone had suggested.

ENJOY!

New Jersey, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

If you go to Jackson Hole, stay at the Best Western. It's a huge log cabin style hotel. My kids loved it. If you have car problems, stay away from the Esso/Exxon, and a fella named George. What a rip-off ! Go to Cooper tires around the corner. Wher

ever you stay, be sure to get out of the car and go hiking, horseback riding, rafting, or whatever. Get down into the park. My family went in early August back in 2003, there was no traffic. Have fun !!

Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice!

I'm still confused about where to stay, but at this time we do not have much choice inside Yellowstone. I'm sure we'll have a great trip no matter where we stay!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Nights and 4 Hotels / Lodges - Too Much

I'd keep the night at Grant, given your long drive. Grand Teton lodging is not a bad second option, but I'm always in a hurry to get my Yellowstone adventure started and waking up at Grant would be good. If you arrive early enough, you could take a walk around West Thumb geyser basin before or after dinner. If not, do it first thing in the morning before you head to Old Faithful (be sure to stop and take a look at Kepler Cascades along the way!).

I like your entire booking, though. I love Old Faithful and could easily spend 2-3 nights there. Mammoth is enjoyable for me. Relaxing after days of walking, walking, walking around the geyser basins and I always enjoy the "resident" elk that hang out in the area. Canyon is many posters' favorite, so you will get many opinions. It's a personal choice which you may not be able to make in an informed manner until after your first visit. By that, I mean, some of us prefer the more thermal side of the park (west side) and others prefer the more populated-with-wildlife side (east side).