We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

Tigerton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
80 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

Will be traveling on the Beartooth at the end of August from Miles City Montana. What are the must see and stop spots on the Highway? With stops how long should we estimate to travel this stretch of road. We will be staying at Tower that night. We didn't even know about this road before reading this forum so thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

Kristene

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

Thanks to TA Deb, this website is all about the Beartooth... including a road and way finding map. http://www.beartoothhighway.com/

Unsure what you mean by staying at Tower that night, but I assume you mean Roosevelt, at the Tower/Roosevelt junction.

According to Google Maps, it's about a 4+ hour drive between Miles City and Cooke City at the NE entrance, via Red Lodge, on the Beartooth Hwy. I'd add an hour at least for stops en route. Then you have another 1+ hours from Cooke City to Roosevelt Lodge. Again, add time, you'll be stopping/viewing en route.

Pack that cooler! :)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,490 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

The googlemaps figure for Beartooth Highway is not accurate. It gives 1 hr 12 minutes for that section and even the locals take 2 to 2.5 hours to drive it with out stops. Googlemaps would be accurate for Miles City to Red Lodge, then add 2.5 hours plus time for stops.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,490 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

Ugh...didn't finish my thought. So add 2.5 hours to get from Red Lodge to Cooke City, then add Voyaging's time for Cooke City to Roosevelt.

Pam

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

No argument, Pam, if I understand you correctly, that's why I added a "+" sign to the GM figures. Though I'd not take that long to drive it, even with stops. To the OP, I believe this information was provided in one of your earlier posts, at least the Deb website.

As is true once in the park, the traveler can multiply the miles between points by 1.5 or 2.0 to get a good estimate of time required.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 16:29
Tigerton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
80 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

I goggle mapped the time, and thanks to Deb I have the Beartooth map printed out, and understood 2-2.5 hours to drive it. My question had more to do with what stops would you not miss? But I will make sure to add 1to 1.5 hours for stops. Thanks

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

I would stop at Rock Creek Vista, west summit overlook, if you want to stretch your legs, drive back to Island Lake and walk around a bit. There will be restrooms there and also at Top of the World store.

Hopefully pudgy_groundhog sees this, she has spent a lot of time in the Beartooths!

If you're in Cooke City for lunch, I love the cheesecake at Buns and Beds.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

To get a preview of the drive. Use Google Earth. Get directions for Cooke City, mt to Red Lodge, MT (or vice versa). And run Google earth in tour mode.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,490 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

You will want to stop at the overlook where you can see the *Bear tooth*.

Also, some of your stops will not really be at planned places. You might see a herd of mountain goats and want to stop. You might see skiers (yes in August!) and want to stop. You might be ready to stop and stretch at some of the pull outs on the plateau area, just to walk and see what you can see. You might want to stop and overlook some of the high mountain lakes.

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

Stop at the Montana/Wyoming state line,nice parking lot & get out to walk out across the tundra a bit.

Just past that, Gardiner Lake pullout & trailhead is a nice place for a short hike down & back up on the Beartooth trail.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 23:33
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must see stops on the Beartooth Highway

Going to the link to the Beartooth Highway website, it indicates that it is closed until Memorial Day. For those of us outside of the USA, when is that in actual date form?

Thanks