We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycle trip to Yellowstone???

Elroy, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Topic
Motorcycle trip to Yellowstone???

I am starting to plan a motorcycle trip to Yellowstone and going down to Jackson Hole. We would like to go end of May before Memorial weekend. Just wondering on road conditions that time of year. I don't wanna have to go through snow. Anyone know how they are generally that time of year?

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorcycle trip to Yellowstone???

Hi,

The Park Service tries to have the roads cleared by that time; so if the weather has been good, they should be snow free. I do see a lot of water on the road in the early season from snow run off and that can turn to ice in the morning or evening, so that is something a motorcyclist might want to be aware of. And it still does snow in May which can close roads and/or leave them with difficult driving conditions.

In fact, last year, it snowed on May 26th. If you Google May 2012 Yellowstone Snow Storm, you can see a lot of posted photos. It was around 20 degrees.

Then again, the next week can see weather close to 60 or 70. Its a difficult question to answer as the higher elevation could mean snow where others are seeing rain.

Either be prepared for anything or try to come later. Hope that helps.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 21:29
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorcycle trip to Yellowstone???

I second what BlueBirdDay has said.

We visited once during the week of Memorial Day and were advised chains were required to travel that day! Where do you get chains when you're already in the park ?! We waited it out and a few hours later, the roads were clear, but wet.

3. Re: Motorcycle trip to Yellowstone???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 06:17