We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestions

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Suggestions

We will be coming out to YNP the week of May 19th-25th. Coming from Philadelpia, flying into SLC. Traveling with my father. Our inital plan is to rent a car and drive from SLC to Jackson, WY and spend the night there our first night. The next morning, we will wake up and check out GTNP, possibly by a small tour company for like 4-5 hours. After that, we will head to YNP for the next 3 days. Is 3 days enough time to see all YNP has to offer? Also, any suggestions on good hotels/motels in Jackson and near YNP (West Yellowstone?) Also, any suggestions on hiring someone to show us around YNP or should we just do it ourselves? Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated! Also, Any photographers out there? I have a pretty basic point and shoot Cannon Powershot SD780 IS camera. I took this to Lake Tahoe and got some pretty awesome shots.. I am not even an ameteur photographer.. is this camera ok to capture the scenes at GTNP and YNP? Thanks Alot!!!!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Well, none of us who are frequent posters think a lifetime is enough time to see *all YNP has to offer*!! You can see most of the sights in a surface kind of way with 3 full days in the park.

See Yellowstone yourselves, it is easy to drive around.

There is a wonderful book called Photographing Yellowstone by Gustav Verderber that you might be interested in looking at before you come.

That time of May can provide kind of iffy weather. Many of us have visited in May and experienced both wonderful weather and also snowy, chilly weather.

Pam

Edited: 31 January 2013, 20:13
Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Thank You Pam!!!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

With a shorter time frame, you will cut down on your driving if you stay in the park. It also might be important if you want sunrise/sunset shots as driving in the park after dark is not recommended due to the number of animals on the road. Have you ruled that out?

Pam

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Haven't ruled anything out yet.. just looking for suggestions on places to stay/where to go/what to do.. in the very beginning stages of planning out trip! 8 )

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Take a look at this page which will tell you what in-park lodging is open during your dates.

nps.gov/yell/…open_closedates.htm

Then go to Xanterra.com to see prices and availability.

When you say you will be in the park 3 days, are you saying 3 nights or 4 nights? I am guessing you are thinking two nights in Jackson, 3 in Yellowstone and your final night in SLC before your return flight?

Pam

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
616 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

I would get started on booking your lodging. Keep in mind only 3 locations are open during your visit, Mammoth, Old Faithful (Inn, Lodge and Snowlodge) and Lake Hotel.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

My two cents...

3 full days, i.e., 4 nights, would be OK.

Tour yourselves. It's easy with the basic figure 8 road taking you to all of the major sights. But, a tour can be informative for an overview, though you'll not be able to spend time in spots sufficient for experiencing the park or continuing your observations.

Camera... You'll get good shots of close things and scenery, but need much more power for the expansive valleys and oft distant wildlife. This article should be informative.

Wildlife Viewing and Photography, contributions by several TAs: http://tinyurl.com/7dt5xe2

Lodging.. I'd split your lodging between two far apart places. See the park map to better grasp the distances:

See “View Map” on home page for interactive map. http://www.nps.gov/yell/

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Thanks Everyone!

9. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:18