We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question for all my Yellowstone friends

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,702 posts
431 reviews
Save Topic
A question for all my Yellowstone friends

I have double reservations booked in both Jackson Hole and at Old Faithful lodge. I can also change my flights because flying on Southwest in and out of Denver. We are also doing Colorado Springs and RMNP.

We have been late May/early June twice recently and late August/early September also.

My question- which week would be best for weather and wildlife viewing?

September 7-14

September 14-21

Thanks!!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question for all my Yellowstone friends

I don't think it makes much difference between the 2 weeks. You might see slightly fewer people the second time frame. Part of the wildlife viewing will be dependent on how cold it has been in the higher elevations as well. Elk rut should be good the 3rd week along the west entrance road but may also be as good the 2nd week.

All in all, if I were picking, I would go for the 14-21 time frame, but I don't have any clear reason for that decision!

Which was your first pick?

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,702 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question for all my Yellowstone friends

Pam,

Thanks!! Yes September 14-21 was my pick also. We will be in COS and RMNP first. We will arrive in Jackson Hole on Sept. 15 and then head to Yellowstone. Our flight leaves Sat. Sept. 21 at 5 pm.

I am hoping to see bears on this visit. I've seen them in the GSMNP lots of times and in Glacier but never in YNP.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question for all my Yellowstone friends

I think that sounds good! I hope you see bear. I've had good luck with griz in Hayden in late Sept. The last couple of times it was the last week of Sept, but I'm not thinking it will make much difference.

Pam

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question for all my Yellowstone friends

We were out just after Labor Day 2012 and the Elk antics had started but weren't full-blown yet. Later seems logical to me if you want to witness the Elk rut, but it's always a gamble, as Pam has said.

Either way = happy for you! Sounds like a great trip.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A question for all my Yellowstone friends

For what it's worth, I agree with D0bby: later in Sept is better for wildlife watching. Elk are more active, with the rut getting underway. And bears are getting into their hyperphagia stage, which means they're eating and drinking more hours and sleeping less - so sightings may be more likely. And if we get an early onset of winter, you'll see some migration out of the high country in late September.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A question for all my Yellowstone friends

Peach- ask around of the scopers if they have heard of any carcasses. That's a good place to see grizzlies, but it takes patience to wait them out.

7. Re: A question for all my Yellowstone friends

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:15