We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Video of Giant Geyser Erupting

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
463 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Video of Giant Geyser Erupting

For all the Geyser-Gazers on this forum, I thought you might enjoy a video of Giant Geyser erupting on 9/27/97. I was reading posts on the Old Faithful CamChat the other day and someone mentioned a fantastic video of Giant recorded by Steve Bezore which I Googled and found on YouTube. Wait until the 3:00 point to really see it in all its massive, awesome glory! It really took my breath away as I imagined witnessing an eruption, up close and personal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uU180CpFho

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,659 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Video of Giant Geyser Erupting

You're hooked! LOLOL!

That is a great video. I love all the people running and screaming when they got wet! It looks pretty cold too. Everyone is bundled up and there is so much steam!

Great find.

My favorite starts with a nice eruption of Lion then the camera operator notes a grizzly walking in from the right. I am wondering if the camera person is on the chat page you are following?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J-FlrawYHE

Pam

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Video of Giant Geyser Erupting

wow! I can only hope it will erupt when I'm there!

and yes, kcmule is on the page Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,659 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Video of Giant Geyser Erupting

After I followed either your link or your Mom's to the chat page I realized the camera operators were probably from that group.

It is so funny, because every time I watch that video, I see them move the camera and focus on Lion, then you can almost hear them say aloud...*Hey Look! A griz!!*

Pam

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
463 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Video of Giant Geyser Erupting

Hi Pam-- yes-- I'm officially hooked on geysers! I think I may have mentioned that we're planning for 3 nights in a cabin in the Old Faithful area in 2014 so we can spend more time geyser-gazing and hopefully, catch a number of eruptions. Thanks for linking the griz video-- I think I saw it on this forum a while ago because I seem to remember people asking if the bear had swum across the Firehole River.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,659 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Video of Giant Geyser Erupting

Oh, I am sure I posted it before!

You will really enjoy time spent in the geyser basin. It is way more fun when you don't feel pressed to get on to the next event. If you are out alone early in the AM you will probably want bear spray. (thbergs is the expert on that!). I also make sure I have a range of clothing in my day pack along with water, sunscreen, snacks, a book and the Geysers of Yellowstone book. Next time I guess I will also need my phone with the geyser app as well! I wonder if we can insist the park service install charging ports along the boardwalk, lol??

Pam

Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Video of Giant Geyser Erupting

Great find-thanks for posting.

7. Re: Video of Giant Geyser Erupting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...