We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with cabins and/or hotels

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Help with cabins and/or hotels

Hi All,

I am trying to plan our visit to YNP. We plan on flying to Bozeman and then visit the park.

We want to stay in two different locations (doesn't really matter where) once in a cabin and once in a hotel which has a private bathroom....preferably in locations where we can watch wildlife.

Can you please give me suggestions on cabins and places where I can look for hotels?

Thanks All!!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

Lodging for YNP is almost just a place to crash. But, to minimize driving, location will matter. Check this TA written article:

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK This article tells what you need to know about lodging locations inside and outside the park, how to get lodging, and how to choose from among the various locations.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin… html

You'll be near wildlife anywhere in the park, you might find it outside your lodging door.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

Always book your Yellowstone accommodations directly with Xanterra, the concessionaire that runs the properties in the park (assuming you are talking summer 2013. Their contract is up for renewal/renegotiation for 2014 and beyond). You can find them at http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com

Best wildlife watching happens on the east side of the park and most will suggest either Canyon (cabins and hotel options, middle of east side) or Roosevelt (cabins only, northeast).

Hotels are located throughout the park at all the lodging locations except Roosevelt. If you are planning to visit during 2013, you may be somewhat limited by availability, so start looking now and book what you can get, then return and see if your preferences open up so you can cancel your original bookings after booking into your preferred locations/room types.

How long do you plan to stay?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

Great ideas and if possible do not just depend on the Xanterra website to check for lodging vacancies but call them. I had been calling each day since Jan. 1 and last week got the lodging that I wanted at the historic Old Faithful Inn for this September.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

Thanks all for the great responses.

Is $103 the starting price for an accommodation via Xanterra? I am wondering if there are any other cheaper options.

Also, how much of a driving is it to cover YNP in five days -- in terms of miles. Is it like ~500 miles? Reason why I am asking is to know whether it is worth spending rental on an hybrid like Toyota Prius or go with any other economy car.

Thanks y'all.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

less expensive lodging would require a shared bathroom. If you are OK with that (and we are) look for budget cabins at Old Faithful and Roosevelt. Old Faithful Inn and Mammoth Hotel have rooms with shared bath that are less expensive than rooms with a private bath. For a private bath, you are going to pay more. You can stay outside the park, possibly for less, but you trade driving times and time in the park- so it really is what is most important to you.

Be sure to only use Xanterra for in park lodging.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

Yes you will do a lot of driving- here is a map with mileage-

nps.gov/yell/…YELLmap1.pdf

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,616 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

Just don't get a car with limited miles. I would probably not spend the extra for a Prius, just go for economy. I usually get pretty good mileage in the park.

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

Our Roosevelt roughrider cabin with shared bathhouse is $72.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

We need to cook as we cannot eat outside due to dietary restrictions. How does Kitchen work in Roosevelt cabins?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with cabins and/or hotels

there are no kitchens and no cooking inside any of the park lodging. You can use grills in approved picnic areas, providing fire restrictions permit them when you are there.