We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

Looks like Xanterra has been awarded the contract again.

In case anybody is interested:

www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/newsreleases.htm

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

Thanks for posting this and for the link. I knew their contract was up for renewal and seemed like I read a lot of complaints in reviews about Xanterra, so I wondered if they'd be renewed. Wow-- 20 years is a loooooong time for a contract!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,350 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

I'm interested! And I agree with LornaDune...20 years is a heck of a long time! I guess I am surprised ANY government contract can be let for 20 years.

Pam

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

Xanterra maintains all of its Yellowstone properties, so I suppose the length of the contract is intended to give them enough time to recover those costs. If the contract were shorter, their prices would likely be higher. Next time you're at OF, ask one of those guide people how much Xanterra spent restoring the foundation underneath the building. There was so little room to work, they had all those guys working with hand tools; cost them a fortune.

I'm no fan of Xanterra; I think a monopoly breeds complacent service. I'd love to see 2 or 3 lodge operators, each trying to outdo the others to earn tourist business. But I do understand the long contract term.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

I read or heard something similar, TetonBill. I believe there are expectations for future improvements to the existing buildings that will require a large investment, so they had to be given something in return.

From speaking to seasonal employees during visits the past two years, I gather they make things look good on the surface, but their handling of behind-the-scenes stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,350 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

Interesting about the shoring up the foundation TetonBill. I had not thought of it in those terms either.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,350 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

Here is a news story with some details... but more importantly it has a GREAT shot of the 2nd floor deck at the OFI!

yellowstonegate.com/2013/…

Pam

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

Thank you for the link, Pam. I finally remembered, thanks to reading it, that one of the improvements in the contract is renovation and reopening of the Mammoth Haynes Photo Shop. It's been a shame to see that building sit and pretty much rot. I'm so glad it's on the list! And employees will appreciate the new housing, too, I'm sure.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

Perhaps this varies between governement agencies, but in the agency that I am most familiar with, the government is funding the cost for large capital improvements. The contractor, Xanterra in this case is paying the bill through the contract but the government is ultimately financially backing the project. That said, maybe the NPS uses a different model than what is used where I work.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

Interesting article and info. Preservation should be a key part of any contract imo.

Valdosta
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xanterra gets another 20 years as hotel concessionaire @ YNP

If you are interested in the Yellowstone contract including the costs it entails and the major changes that will occur, you might want to read our article in National Parks Traveler that was written just after the prospectus was issued.

nationalparkstraveler.com/2012/05/major-lodg…

Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...