We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

Dunwoody, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

I am attempting to plan a week long trip to Yellowstone and GTNP this June for my family. I have 2 teenage daughters and my husband. I have lodging for 2 nights at OF Snow Lodge and 2 at Mammoth Hotel. We will be flying out of Atlanta. Some tentative sights are Cody, West Yellowstone Grizzly center, and Float trip on snake river. Would love any suggestions on airports, lodging, activities. We will fly in on Friday and leave the following sunday, so 8 full days. thanks!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,553 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

If you are only spending 4 nights/3 days, you might not have enough time for the Grizzly Center and still see most of the big sights in Yellowstone. If you do decide to do it, I would probably see it on either the afternoon of the day of your 2nd night at OF or on the day you go from OF to Mammoth. I also would recommend you change one of your Mammoth days to Lake (or Canyon if it is open during your visit days).

How many days are you planning for GTNP? To do Cody, if you have an extra day after your nights at Mammoth, then you could head to Cody then. If you are trying to fit it in on one of your 3 full days in Yellowstone I would not recommend it.

Are you planning something like this?

Friday: Jackson/GTNP

Saturday: Jackson/GTNP

Sunday: OF

Monday: OF

Tuesday : Mammoth

Wed: Mammoth (but would recommend changing that to Lake or Canyon)

Thurs: Cody:

Friday: Jackson/GTNP

Sat: Jackson/GTNP

Pam

2. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 March 2013, 19:40
Dunwoody, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

right now all that I could book is fri and sat night at OF and sun and mon at Mammoth. I plan to keep calling. it would appear that we would be on opposite ends of the park with OF and mammoth. wildlife viewing would be a priority. thanks

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

when is your flight? it is a drive from the airport to Old Faithful, and you will want a stop for picnic supplies, being sure to arrive at lodging before dark. You may want the first night in GTNP or Jackson.

Different locations help with less drive time over the same road every day. You can keep trying for exactly what you want, but glad to see you took what you could get. You can work with that.

Since you plan to keep trying, If wildlife is a priority, Mammoth could work for Lamar, Roosevelt Lodge cabins even better. Old Faithful is good for geysers, but I would pick Lake or Canyon for easier access to the Hayden valley early and late. Although wildlife is just that- wild- so it can be anywhere at any time!

Happy planning!

Dunwoody, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

actually I am working on booking flight out of Atlanta right now! it is hard to determine if it is worth flying directly into Jackson, or SLC. we have to rent a car as well. thanks so much for your reply!

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

Well, if you can afford the fare, take the flight to JAC, will save you much time, espcially when you have only a week. The country it's a big one and distances are ..distant.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

JAC also usually is more expensive for rental cars. Time vs money. Also compare flight schedules. Likely more flights to SLC means more flexibility.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

Look at Bozeman as well- some have had luck flying into Bozeman and out of Jackson, or both ways Bozeman.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

Delta usually has a direct ATL-BZN flight in the summer, but not every day. Worth looking for, though.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,616 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone Novice looking for help!

Live in ATL and travel to YNP many times in the past 5 years. Also try Billings. We've found good airfare and car rental out of SLC and Billings. This year flying in and out of Denver but including Colorado.