We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary details...

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
879 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary details...

Hello everyone. Our trip is getting closer and closer and I am reading more and more from these and other forums, guide books, etc. I will be traveling with my husband in June and I really like to come up with a detailed itinerary before a trip. I fully understand tese plans will change and they are not written in stone. I'm just wondering if I'm trying to fit too much into a day, not enough, etc. as background, we are (relAtively) fit and active and tend to take WAY to many photographs. Here is what I have planned for the Yellowstone portion of the trip:

June 10: leave colter bay cabin very early stopping for morning photographs as we drive toward Yellowstone. Spend an hour or two at west thumb basin en route to old fAithful. See the upper geyser basin before dinner at the Inn. If time allows before dinner rent bikes and bike to lonestar geyser? Sleep in the budget cabins unless we can get into the inn(I've been calling twice a day).

June 11: get an eArly start and head toward the lower geyser basin. Walk through here for about 2 hours? Midway geyser basin for approximately 2 hours? Black sand and biscuit basins. Fountain paint pots and fire hole lake drive. We will have a picnic lunch from a cooler and would like to be back at old faithful for a late dinner at the Inn again or snow lodge. Is this too much to do in a dAy? Would we have time to hike to fairy falls? Night at old faithful again.

June 12: drive toward Yellowstone lake. Briefly check out the area including the hotel. Walk across fishing bridge scouting for wildlife ( thanks Pam !!). Head toward canyon seeing whatever is along the way. Do as much around canyon as time allows before an early dinner. Try to head into Hayden valley at sunset. Sleep in a canyon cabin.

June 13: check out grand canyon again by morning light. Try to catch the 9:45 rainbow before heading toward Norris. Spend an hour or two at norris before driving toward mammoth. Walk the main terraces and drive the upper loop. Drive out to the Roosevelt arch and photograph it. Head toward tower- Roosevelt getting there before dark but stoping for sites along the way. Dinner at Roosevelt. Sleep in a rough rider cabin.

June 14: get up early for sunrise in the Lamar valley. Take our time here if there is anything interesting to see. Return to Roosevelt area to see tower falls and possibly petrified tree unless we had time to do this the night before. Exit the park via the beartooth highway, spending the night in red lodge and the next night in Cody. This is the day the beartooth is scheduled to open so I will be a nervous wreck about that.

Thanks for reading this very long post and please provide any suggestions. Also, I apologize for the poor grammar and sentence structure. I am not illiterate, just trying to type on an iPad. Thanks, Dina .

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary details...

June 10 - This is probably to much. I would not plan on the bike ride out to Lone Star.

June 11 - If you saw all you wanted to see in the Upper Geyser Basin yesterday, You would have time to do the Lone Star ride today along with the Firehole Lake Dr, Fountain Paint Pots (Lower Geyser Basin), Midway and Biscuit and Black Sand. Biscuit and Black Sand don't take very long. Midway has a lot of boardwalk. Fountain Paint Pots maybe an hour unless you are waiting for an eruption of Fountain or someone gets enthralled with watching the paint pots burp and takes approximately a million pictures of same, lol! Firehole Lake can take an hour + depending again on if you would like to wait for Great fountain Geyser (has a plus or minus 2 hour time frame from the prediction time so stop if people are there waiting! it is spectacular!) or White Cone geyser, which is not predictable, but sometimes goes in cycles where it erupts every 30-45 minutes, so I usually park for an hour or so to see if it will go. If you decide to ride to Lone Star, take a look at the Visitor Center prediction time for Great Fountain and sometimes they will have one for Lone Star depending on if someone has been out there and witnessed an eruption. If Great Fountain is set to go in the AM, do the bike ride in the PM. Also check with the Rangers on weather (ie thunderstorms)

June 12 - sounds good

June 13 - sounds good

June 14 - sounds good as well. You might be able to get Tower in on June 12, but it will depend on whether Dunraven Pass between Canyon and Tower is open yet. The Rangers at the Visitor Center will be able to tell you.

Have you made the reservations in Red Lodge yet? Check the cancellation policy and hopefully they will have one where you can cancel the day you arrive, otherwise, I might make the reservation for 2 nights in Cody and just travel Beartooth to Rock Creek Vista if it is open, then backtrack to Chief Joseph for the overnight in Cody. Otherwise, pretty much it is what it is as far as whether Beartooth is open or not.

You have done a terrific job of planning!

Pam

Edited: 13 March 2013, 00:11
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,781 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary details...

One thought- I personally would go straight to Old Faithful and check the geyser times for the possibility of seeing something good go off, and pick up West Thumb on your way to Lake.

Just FYI, the bike rental is from Old Faithful, you would have to ride or haul your bikes there and back to ride to Lone Star.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary details...

Ugh, edited once and didn't get all the typos, so we are in the same boat except I am not using an iPad! lol!

Pam

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
879 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary details...

Thanks so much Pam and Thbergs. Your advice makes a lot of sense and I will factor it in. Yes, we have our reservation in red lodge and it can be cancelled without penalty up until 48 hours prior. I will monitor this throughout the spring and hope there are no late storms!! I have also heard that the state may allocate funds for plowing so who knows at this point. I could switch that reservation for a second in Cody but I think for now I'll wait and see. Thanks again for all the help :-). Dina.

5. Re: Itinerary details...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 05:18