We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

Hello,

Having left it too late to visit YSNP and stay at Old Faithful Inn this summer I am planning on a visit in summer 2014 and I'm wondering how soon I can make my reservations to be sure of a room.

At present bookings via this page http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/ cannot be made for later than March 2014 but i am concerned if I leave it a few months then May/June may become available for booking without me knowing and all availability disappears as it's such a popular place to stay.

I live in Scotland so phoning the reservation line on a regular basis to check availability is not really an option.

Any advice on when i can book for next summer would be greatly appreciated as I'm gutted to have missed my opportunity this year.

Regards

Robbie

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

Even though it says March 2014 on Xanterra's website you can't reserve anything that far ahead. They just run their calendar on the reservation site from March to March for some reason. If I recall correctly, the reservation system opens up for the next year on May 1st. Hopefully, someone with specific knowledge will chime in. You could also send Xanterra an email asking them when their reservations open up for 2014. If you do that and get an answer please let us know what you find out.

I had to reserve a room for Old Faithful Inn over Memorial Day Weekend a year in advance and remember doing it within the first few days that reservations opened up for the following year.

Deb

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

Thanks - I've done some digging on this forum searching for May 1st and have some up with some better results like - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k44291…

It seems like May 1st is the date for phone bookings but for international visitors who don't want hours waiting in a phone queue I will email them and ask if the online booking system runs in parallel with telephone bookings and post my findings back here.

Robbie

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

I booked mine online even though I live ust 2 hours away from the park. I know it wasn't on the first day the reservations opened up but it was real soon after that. The year before I had waited too long and the cheap rooms I wanted were already taken so I decided the next year I'd make reservations when they started taking them. It was weird having a reservation/deposit paid for a hotel 13 months before going.

Deb

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

Try to book as early as possible. I know when I tried nine months in advance OFI rooms were already sold for my dates. It was easy that early, however, to get Mammoth, Canyon, and the Snow Lodge at Old Faithful. It took eight more tries (just a quick look online occasionally and three months after my initial booking I finally saw some availability at OFI and got my rooms there too and canceled Snow Lodge.)

Texas
Level Contributor
313 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

YNP Reservations for 2013 were first available on May 1, 2012. I assume it will be the same dates for 2014 reservations. I made all my reservations (3 locations) for Aug 2013 on that day,16 months in advance! I started calling as soon as their lines opened that first day, and had to keep re-dialing constantly for 20 minutes until I finally got thru. But it was worth it because I got exactly the accommodations I wanted in each location...a room with bath in OFI Old House, a cabin with a bath at Roosevelt, and a cabin at Lake Hotel, a total of 6 nights. Now that I have our nights taken care of, I can relax and enjoy planning our days!

Texas
Level Contributor
313 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

YNP Reservations for 2013 were first available on May 1, 2012. I assume it will be the same dates for 2014 reservations. I made all my reservations (3 locations) for Aug 2013 on that day,16 months in advance! I started calling as soon as their lines opened that first day, and had to keep re-dialing constantly for 20 minutes until I finally got thru. But it was worth it because I got exactly the accommodations I wanted in each location...a room with bath in OFI Old House, a cabin with a bath at Roosevelt, and a cabin at Lake Hotel, a total of 6 nights. Now that I have our nights taken care of, I can relax and enjoy planning our days!

Edited: 20 March 2013, 17:18
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
818 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

We reserved exactly a year in advance, and my understanding is that that's what you have to do with Yellowstone if you want to be sure of a booking. Much later than that and you have to hope for random cancellations.

That seems to be the way it is with the major parks. I've read that you have to start trying over a year in advance if you want El Tovar in the Grand Canyon!

Truxton, Missouri
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

The hotels inside the park book a year in advance. However, visitors are constantly changing their reservations, moving their reservations and cancelling their reservations.

I and my tour guests have found that calling is better than using their web site. Often, the web site will show no rooms available but if you call, the agent will have rooms available that are not shown online.

So many visitors are cancelling and changing their reservations that I have found it fairly easy to get a room at any hotel inside the park with a little effort and patience. I sometimes I need to stay inside the park for one reason or another but have never called any earlier than two weeks ahead and have always been able to get the hotel I want.

You may have to call 3 times each day for several days, but a room will open in the hotel you want.

It is always recommended that you call and make reservations as soon as possible.

There are many options outside of the park too. West Yellowstone and Gardiner would be two of the best options. Often, you can find a better rate and your food options are greater. If you do stay at Old Faithful Inn, I highly recommend not eating there, but walking across the parking lot and eating at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge. The food is much better and you do not need a reservation. First come, first served. The longest I have ever had to wait is 20 minutes.

Each and every restaurant inside Yellowstone will make you a sack lunch. Order them the night before while eating dinner. Just tell your waitress and they will have them ready for you the next morning at breakfast. However, I have never seen them ready before 9:00 AM.

9. Re: How Far In Advance To Book Old Faithful Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 04:17