We're from Miami, planning to drive from the Denver area on Sunday June 16, arrive in the evening at Jackson. We're thinking of taking the Jenny Lake ferry on Monday, and hiking to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point and part of the Cascade Canyon Trail, and the remainder of the day look for views of wildlife, and photo ops of the GT mountains, Schwabacher, Snake River, Oxbow Bend, and Mormon Row. Possibly look for more such views Tuesday morning, head to Yellowstone, stay in West Yellowstone, visit YNP for a few days. We need to leave on Friday and reach Bozeman around 5-6 PM that day. After Bozeman, we must head east for NYC.
Once we get the answers to our questions, we would try to put together a possible itinerary for review. Thanks so much!
1. How early do we need to arrive at Jenny for obtaining parking? Or is it not a problem in June?
2. We wouldn't want to go much if at all past the North and South Forks, but is the scenery constantly improving up to that point, or could we go just a mile or 2 past Inspiration Point and be satisfied that we didn't miss much?
3. How great of a concern are afternoon thundershowers in the area? (Hopefully not like in Miami!) Bears?
4. Which of the famous photo ops in GT should be done at sunrise or early AM, which in the middle of the day, and which in the late afternoon? Will it be necessary to cut down on the hike in order to have enough time for the photos? Hopefully there's no need to delay the departure for YNP.
5. What do you suggest for Tuesday PM in YNP? The South Loop to east, counterclockwise, to Hayden Valley and Grand Canyon area, and Porcelain, or better to go west directly to Old Faithful and see as many of the geysers and Grand Prismatic Spring as the day allows?
6. Which of the famous photo ops in YNP should be done at sunrise or early AM, which in the middle of the day, and which in the late afternoon?
7. Would there be adequate time to hike Mt. Washburn, see the Lamar Valley and Mammoth on one day?
8. We're also considering the Beartooth Hwy. Would it make sense to do the Lamar and then Beartooth on Friday on the way out, and then work our way up and west to Bozeman? (thinking possibly not, since the best time for wildlife in Lamar would be late in the day, and we wouldn't make it on time) If no, would it make sense to drive on Beartooth as far as Rock Creek Vista, and turning back the same day?
9. What places of interest would you suggest we visit going from Bozeman to NYC, allowing relatively short departures from the main interstate routes? We don't want to spend more than 5 full days on the road from and including the day we leave Bozeman and arrival in NYC. Reasonable? Stretching things? Possible w/o much night driving?
We are open to any other suggestions that you have to make this a better trip.