We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grant Village vs. West Yellowstone

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grant Village vs. West Yellowstone

We are a family with 3 girls (11, 9 & 6) visiting Yellowstone for the first time in July 2013. I read that it was best to stay in the park. Our first 2 nights we will be spending in Canyon Lodge. The next two days, we would like to visit the Old Faithful area, however, there are no rooms available there. (I will continue to check at the park for any new openings by Old Faithful.) I was able to get lodging at Grant Village, but we had to get 2 rooms with 1 queen bed in each, and the rooms may not be anywhere near each other. I also reserved a room at the Comfort Inn in West Yellowstone where we are all able to stay in the same room and save $250. From looking at the map, I see that West Yellowstone is a little bit further than Grant Village. I'm wondering if it makes that much of a difference to be in the park when I will be almost as far away from the Old Faithful area as I would in West Yellowstone? I'm willing to pay the extra if it really is a better option. Just curious what those of you who have been there think.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,490 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grant Village vs. West Yellowstone

I usually stay in West Yellowstone, just because it is the closest entrance gate to me and I can often get a free room with frequent flier miles.

West Yellowstone is 30 miles from Old Faithful, Grant is about 17. You would double the miles to get your time, so 1 hr to OF from West Yellowstone and 34 minutes from Grant. Given the choices of the 2, I would probably pick West Yellowstone as there are more choices in lodging and restaurants. It is very much a tourist town, there to provide services to park visitors. It doesn't have much charm, but I like to walk around town after a day in the park and the hotel will likely have wifi which you wont have in the park.

There is a great indie bookstore! I love the huckleberry turnovers at Bear country Bakery, Peachbelle who posts often here is a fan of Running Bear Pancake House.

There is also the IMAX theater in West Yellowstone along with Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center if your family is interested.

I would also keep trying for the OF area.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,490 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grant Village vs. West Yellowstone

Rats, waited too long to edit....

Be sure to sign your girls up for the Jr. Ranger program as you enter the park or at the Canyon Visitor Center. There is a Jr Ranger Center at Madison Jct...the intersection of the West entrance road coming in from West Yellowstone and the Loop Road....flush toilets too! If you do stay at West Yellowstone, it is good to have a pit stop here before you head out of the park as I have been caught in a lengthy bison jam on this road. The bison don't care that you forgot to potty.

Pam

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grant Village vs. West Yellowstone

Keep in mind rooms in the park do not have TV's, and there are no pools or anything like that. So if your little ones like to be pre-occupied and might not be thrilled with having nothing to do once inside the room, be aware of that. Some kids are fine with it though; you know your own kids. The best times to be in the park, especially in Grant, is when all the day visitors leave and you have the area kind of to yourself, and Grant is right along the beautiful Lake Yellowstone. And you are near the Tetons!

Also, just a note, by law you have to have 1 adult in each room, so be prepared for you and your husband to be split up. Though I will say this: barring any last minute emergencies or two different room types that aren't anywhere near each other, they will get your two rooms next door.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grant Village vs. West Yellowstone

I am not a fan of West Yellowstone, but for $250 I could be presuaded. The main thing against it is that you don't want to be driving in the dark -- too dangerous for motorist and animal alike.

That said, I would suggest calling Xanterra about daily to see what rooms open up in the Old Faithful area. Cancellations are frequent because so many people book so far ahead and their cancellation polcy is so easy.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grant Village vs. West Yellowstone

I've stayed at Grant and agree that, while not in the best area of the park for touring, it does have certain advantages over West Yellowstone (we even saw an elk strolling in the parking lot at dusk and in the morning). If it weren't for the price difference, the splitting up the family and the fact that you have children that may be missing out on the amenities of staying in a developed area (i.e. swimming pool, tv, etc.), I'd say Grant. Given all the factors you've mentioned, I'd go for the West Yellowstone hotel with the back-up plan of continuing to search for options at Old Faithful. There really is nothing like being at OF in the evenings when all the day trippers have gone home. I've always succeeded in getting rooms simply by checking frequently online.

Good luck!

6. Re: Grant Village vs. West Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:16