We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary

Sayre, PA
Level Contributor
83 posts
317 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary

My husband and I are senior citizens planning our first trip to Yellowstone Park the middle of June. We are flying into either Salt Lake City or Denver (suggestions?) and will have at least 7 days to sightsee. Are there any complete itineraries anyone would suggest, starting from the drive from the airport through the rest of a visit? I would love to have suggestions for areas to stay each night and we want to make sure we see and do as much as possible. While we are not intense hikers, we do like to walk and just love sightseeing! If anyone can assist with details, it would be so much appreciated!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary

You're getting a little bit of a late start on lodging, but call Xanterra daily and see what opens up. Shoot for two or three days at each of two or three locations within the park. This gives you maximum opportunity for sightseeing and hiking in different areas of the park. YNP is so large that staying in just one spot involves too much driving. Once you have some lodging established, we would be able to make further suggestions. Good luck and ENJOY!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary

If you fly into Denver, it would be quite feasible to enter Yellowstone via the South entrance, seeing a bit of Jackson Hole and Grand Teton National Park (more scenic, IMO, than the route toward the West Entrance from Salt Lake City) and also exit out one of the east entrances and swing by Cody, WY as you head back towards Denver.

I would devote at least 4 days to Yellowstone, which would give you 2-3+, depending on the total length of your trip), to make your way through the afore-mentioned areas at a quick but doable pace.

I've always had luck trying for late reservations online, checking frequently and being willing to book one night at a time and move around. If you find and decide to book a second night at the location where you've already got one, you'll either pay a second deposit or need to call to have it added on. Each reservation requires the full first night's payment up front (i.e. if you were to book 2 nights at Canyon and 2 nights at Old Faithful, you'd pay 2 nights, 1 at each location, as your deposit). There is no easy way to add on to an existing reservation on Xanterra's website, which is a little clunky, but don't be tempted to use a booking service. You'll not get a better price than through Xanterra, the concessionaire for the park hotels.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,093 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary

Once you get your lodging set, I'd be happy to make suggestions for a daily itinerary for you within Yellowstone.

Pam

Sayre, PA
Level Contributor
83 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary

We did book a flight into Salt Lake City as the car rentals were cheaper so will be heading to the park from there. Given that, where would you suggest we head to first in the park and stay?

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary

"Sightseeing" animals? "Sightseeing" geysers? "Sightseeing" anyhting?

To make it simple, you could book a north loop lodging and a south loop lodging. North would be Mammoth or Roosevelt, from which to explore the north part of the Grand Loop (the figure-8 main road throughout the park). The south lodging would be Old Faithful or Lake, from which to explore the south part of the Grand Loop.

Or you could book a middle lodging -- CVanyon -- from which to venture out to the west, south and north.

ENJOY!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary

We are also flying into SLC arriving at 10:30 AM, then driving the 5 - 6 hrs to Jackson for overnight. Next two nights we're at Jackson Lake Lodge so we can do a float trip, tour all park roads and a lake cruise, Spending 4th & 5th nights at Canyon Lodge, On Day 5 we going to Tower, Roosevelt (Stage Ride), Lamar valley then over to Mammoth for about 3 hours before heading south to Norris and back across to Canyon Village for the night, On Day 6 we're doing the Grand Canyon in the AM, lunch at Canyon Village then over to Norris and south to Old Faithful, doing Firehole Canyon Road and Paintpots along the way. We have two nights at Old Faitful Lodge and have reserved a Historic Bus for an early evening tour of Firedole Drive and Midway Basin and hopefully Dinner at OF Inn on the last evening. On Sat we will then drive back to SLC via West Yellowstone, US 20, & I-15 for our early evening flight departure.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,092 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary

get what lodging you can- things are changing daily on the website and you can call. I saw openings today that weren't there before, so be diligent and get that set, then we can help guide from your lodging.

8. Re: itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:16