We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week vacation in YNP area in June

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
2 week vacation in YNP area in June

Hi All,

I have managed to find a good price flight and hotel deal from the UK, from mid to late June. This involves staying in Gardiner. Staying elsewhere prices us out of visiting.

I have a couple of questions please:

1) How long would it take to drive down to Old Faithful area from the north? Is it feasible to drive down, spend the day down there and drive back all in one day? We have time to do this over a few days.

2) Please could you let me know what the weather may be like in June? ive read mixed reports

3) We can spend up to two weeks in the area how long would you recommend that we spend in the park (it has always been my dream to visit but i dont know whats realistic if staying in the north)

Thanks so much for your time

Dawn

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week vacation in YNP area in June

It is possible to drive from Gardiner to the Old Faithful Area and back in a day and still get to see a lot. Here is a link that has estimated drive times through the park. These times are estimated times for typical conditions and don't account for stops and slow moving traffic. www.youryellowstonevacation.com/index.php…

The mixed reports about the weather in June may be because the weather is pretty sporatic and unpredictable. Early June you can expect rain and/or snow showers at higher elevations with temps. anywhere from the 40s - 60s F during the day and possibly below freezing at at night. Mid to late June will be warmer and the rain/snow mix will begin turning into mostly rain showers but there is still always a chance it could snow.

For clothing, make sure you bring a rain jacket or poncho and umbrella, a sweater and light jacket for the chilly days and evenings, a short sleeve shirt and shorts in case it is hot during the day, and pants in case it is chilly. If you come prepared for any kind of weather then you will have your bases covered.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week vacation in YNP area in June

Thank you so much for replying thats really useful. I was starting to get worried about staying in the north. Thanks again. Dawn

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week vacation in YNP area in June

You're welcome. The upside to the additional driving is that you will increase your chances of seeing wildlife. June is a great time to see bears and other animals near the road. If you get started early in the morning you will increase your chances even more.

4. Re: 2 week vacation in YNP area in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 05:15