We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

We are taking a 10 day trip to Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone. We are a family of five with 2 adults and 3 boys, ages 21, 18, and 15. We are planning on flying into Jackson Hole Wyoming and flying out of Bozeman, Montana. We have booked 2 nights in Jackson, 1 night at the Old Faithful Inn, 3 nights in Canyon and 2 nights in Mammouth Springs. We still have a couple of nights up in the air. We would like your suggestions as to what to see and do in both parks. We want to do a whitewater rafting trip (suggestions on rafting companies), a horseback ride and some hiking. We also hope to drive the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway one of the days but aren't sure how long that would take and where and when it would make sense to do it. Also, is Cody Wyoming worth a roadtrip? Also, any recommendations for park guides or should we do it on our own. Thanks so much for your help!!

Mentioned in this post
Chief Joseph Scenic Highway
Chief Joseph Scenic...
126 Reviews
Wyoming
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
2,723 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Mount Washburn
Mountains, National Parks
Gibbon Falls
Geologic Formations, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
Aurum Geyser
Geologic Formations, Hot Springs & Geysers, National Parks
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,624 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

Cody is a great western town with the rodeo and Buffalo Bill museums.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,166 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

I would probably add a night at Jackson although that is going to mess up your YNP reservations! If you put Cody toward the end, then from there I would drive Chief Joseph and Beartooth Highways winding up in Bozeman the night before you depart...so last night Bozeman, next to last night in Cody.

Most of us do the park on our own. It's fairly straightforward as the main road is a figure 8. Since you are dividing your lodging, you will be able to see most of the highlights.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

You have a nice range of lodging reserved, which will facilitate your sight-seeing in the various sections of the 2 parks. If you decide to add a night in Cody to your trip, I would take that night from Mammoth at the end of the trip.

If you look at the map on the YNP website, you will get a good view of the park's "Figure 8" road layout, as well as where things are located: www.nps.gov/yell It is very easy to drive yourself around, making it easier to spend more time at the places that catch your interest and less at those that don't. Before entering the park, stop at a grocery store and purchase a cheap cooler to fill with snacks and lunch fixings. That way, you won't have to leave an interesting spot to find a place to eat. There are picnic areas available throughout the parks - they are shown on the map and a list is available on the website. Under "Things To Do", there is also a section on hikes that will be helpful in your planning.

You asked about rafting companies. The main ones are in Jackson. I've had good experiences with Dave Hansen's and Mad River, although there are many others available. Look on the Jackson COC website for details.

Lots to see and do - Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

Thank you so much-I realized we actually have 3 nights in Jackson including the Saturday we arrive. What would you suggest doing in Grand Teton National Park...Any great hikes or anything we shouldn't miss. Also, any fun restaurants we should try. I think one of the days we will book a whitewater rafting trip. It sounds as though we should add a night on the end of our trip in Cody.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

Thanks for all the suggestions-a cooler is a great idea. Any great hikes or sites that you wouldn't miss. How long will it take for us to drive from Mammouth to Cody with stops along the way. I have seen a lot of good recommendations for rafting companies. Mad River, Barker Ewing are the ones I have seen mentioned the most. Also, from Canyon Lodge, anything in particular we should think about seeing? I will check out the websites you suggested as well. Also, are there any restaurants that are particularly memorable? We also made a reservation for a horseback ride with chuck wagon dinner through the park service leaving from Tower Roosevelt. Has anyone taken the ride and do you have any feedback on the trip. Thanks again everyone!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

How long of a hike are you comfortable doing? Once we know that we can suggest hikes in the different areas you're staying.

I would probably plan a whole day to get to Cody from Mammoth if you're planning on stopping, and to account for wildlife jams.

You'll love the horseback ride and cookout. Wear a hat and just an fyi you can't take cameras with you on the horse, they'll take them on the wagon for you. Make sure you get there in plenty of time, there are no refunds if you miss it.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

<< Any great hikes or sites that you wouldn't miss. >>

Stop in at the Visitor Center where you are staying and they can give you the best recommendations, based on up-to-the-minute knowledge of the prevailing conditions (weather, mud, wildlife closures, etc.). All we can tell you is the usual.

8. Re: Itinerary Help 10 day trip to GT and YSNP in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...