We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Trip to Yellowstone with teens and tweens

Minnesota
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
June Trip to Yellowstone with teens and tweens

We're planning to visit Yellowstone in June. Planning to spend 3 nights up in Gardiner, possible two in W. Yellowstone (still have to book that one) and two nights between Yellowstone and Cody at the Bill Cody Ranch. All this before heading back to MN via South Dakota for a few days. What are the highlights we should make sure we see and do within Yellowstone while we are there? Our kids are 14, 13 and 11. We plan to go whitewater rafting and horseback riding in Gardiner and know to visit Canyon, Hot Springs and Old Faithful, but was wondering if there was anything else that is a must see/do?

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Bill Cody Ranch
Bill Cody Ranch
228 Reviews
Cody, WY
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,786 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Trip to Yellowstone with teens and tweens

Yellowstone is huge and there is much to see and do- here is the link to some of the more popular sights- of course your interests will dictate how and where you spend your time-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Are you spending any time in the Grand Tetons? This area is just south of the park and deserves at least a day if time allows.

Truxton, Missouri
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Trip to Yellowstone with teens and tweens

Yes, the majority of the major attractions will be found on the lower loop. As of today Mammoth is not super active. This could change, as it frequently does.

I recommend stopping at Fountain Paint Pots which is located in the lower geyser basin. It is the only basin which has all 4 types of geothermal features.

Besides the obvious--Upper Geyser Basin/Old Faithful you might also want to stop at one or more of the smaller basins like Black Sand Basin--one of the more famous hotsprings in the park is located there (I'll leave it to you to discover which one, but early DNA discovery was involved)

The Upper Geyser Basin is quite large--several miles in length. Stop in the Old Faithful Visitor Center and check the eruption schedule for Old Faithful Geyser. Then walk over to the ranger desk and check out the eruption schedule on the other 3-4 active and timeable geysers which are shown on the flat screen TV. The actual number of timeable geysers vary each day due to earthquakes. All but one of those active geysers are located on the original stage road which is paved now and runs the length of the basin. The Visitor Center rangers can supply you with a more detailed map of the Upper Geyser Basin to help you locate each of those active geysers, including the oldest geyser --Castle, which may or may not be active this year.

The great majority of visitors do not walk the boardwalks at Old Faithful.

You can actually hike from Old Faithful Visitor Center to Biscuit Basin, then back behind Biscuit B. to Mystic Falls. If you hiked the entire circle trail at Mystic Falls, the trail circles up above the basin to a rock overlook, which will give you a full view of the entire Upper Geyser Basin with Old Faithful Geyser in the very back. You can almost always catch Old Faithful Geyser during an eruption while up on the overlook. A different view and pretty neat. It works best, when you have kids if someone in the group drives the car from Old Faithful to Biscuit Basin Parking and meets you there for the second half of the hike.

The trail from Old Faithful Visitor Center to Biscuit Basin is mostly paved as mentioned above. The pavement ends at Morning Glory Pool. (There is a pit toilet at Morning Glory too). The unpaved original stage coach road then leads you over to Biscuit Basin. On the short hike you will pass quite a few geothermal features not seen by most visitors.

At Canyon, I recommend the South Rim Drive. Upper Falls and Uncle Toms Parking lot. You may or may not want to go down Uncle Toms. It is quite steep. The hike from Upper Falls to Lower Falls is excellent and only 2 miles. It works best if you have someone drive the car down to Artist Point parking lot and meet you there or hike up the trail and meet you half way---this is what I do with my clients. Artist Point is where you will see the Lower Falls.

Brink of Upper Falls is a easy short walk.

If you are more adventurous, then Brink of Lower Falls from the North Rim Drive should challenge you. Very twisty, paved trail that switch backs and forth down the steep canyon. The views are spectacular! For the best photo's I recommend being at the Brink of Lower falls in the afternoon--the location of the sun.

There is much, much more, but I leave it to you to discover. That is part of the magic of Yellowstone.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 19:38
Mentioned in this post
Upper Geyser Basin
Upper Geyser Basin
1,046 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Black Sand Basin
Black Sand Basin
116 Reviews
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,943 Reviews
Biscuit Basin
Biscuit Basin
328 Reviews
Morning Glory Pool
Morning Glory Pool
58 Reviews
Upper Falls
Upper Falls
223 Reviews
Artist Point
Artist Point
1,016 Reviews
Minnesota
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Trip to Yellowstone with teens and tweens

Thank you so much for your input :) We will be leaving this Friday for our trip and are getting so excited to show our children the magic of Yellowstone!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Trip to Yellowstone with teens and tweens

I am not the original poster but Kevin mentioned the hike from old faithful visitor center to biscuit basin. Could you tell us how far that walk is either in miles or actual time to walk? Thanks I will appreciate it!!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June Trip to Yellowstone with teens and tweens

For the kids, the Junior Ranger Program, worth it for the whole family's enjoyment. Described on the park's website.

Also, cameras and binoculars.

6. Re: June Trip to Yellowstone with teens and tweens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 07:18