We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Lodge to Cody and back?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Lodge to Cody and back?

We will be staying in a cabin at Lake Lodge and are thinking of going to Cody to see the rodeo show which starts at 8PM. I am wondering if it is going to be too long a drive - especially late at night, returning. What time will it get dark in August? Will it be a problem to get back in Yellowstone Park at night?

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Lodge to Cody and back?

I would definitely recommend staying in Cody. It will be dark for most, if not all of your trip back in to the park. I will never forget the night I drove back to Canyon from Cody in the dark, big mistake! It was pouring down rain, and as I drove around a corner I almost ran right in to a group of about 30 bison taking up the whole road. Scared me to death!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Lodge to Cody and back?

8/15 sunset 8:28pm, twilight 9:99pm

Sunrisesunset.com

It will be dark before you drive back. Agree best to stay the night in Cody. Cody is a nice half day deatination. Afternoon at museum, evening at rodeo. It's a couple hour drive back to Lake.

Edited: 12 April 2013, 16:26
Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Lodge to Cody and back?

I wouldn't even consider driving from Cody back to Lake in the dark. Far too dangerous for motorist and beast both.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Lodge to Cody and back?

stay in Cody definitely!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,515 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Lodge to Cody and back?

I agree stay in Cody and never drive after dark in the park.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Lodge to Cody and back?

I would not even try it during the day! Too tiring. Stay in Cody and relax!

7. Re: Lake Lodge to Cody and back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:20