We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to expect the end of May?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
What to expect the end of May?

Will the park be overly crowded? We plan on checking in on the Friday, 24th of May until Monday, the 27th.

I know to expect anything regarding weather. I had friends who worked there for a few summers. They said it would be snowing when they got there in May and be snowing when they left right after Labor Day. We will layer our clothing and be prepared for rain or snow.

What about babies in the park.....Critter Babies? Deer? Elk? Bears?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to expect the end of May?

>Will the park be overly crowded?

No.

>What about babies in the park.....Critter Babies? Deer? Elk? Bears?

Bison start calving in early May. Elk, mule deer and moose start the end of May. Bears have their cubs during winter hibernation, but owing to their tiny size when born (grizzly cubs weigh just 1 1/2 pounds), the cubs are still mighty small in May.

PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to expect the end of May?

Agree with Teton Bill about small cubs in May, but thrilling to see!

www.flickr.com/photos/stravels/5998152938/

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to expect the end of May?

Thanks for sharing the magnificent baby pic, Beckydoodle! That's what I go to see!

PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to expect the end of May?

Thanks denalicat! If you want to read about that particular bear adventure, here is the link. Scoll down to May 18.

…wordpress.com/2011/07/25/2010-yellowstone/

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to expect the end of May?

Oh to be that lucky! I'd love to capture a Momma Bear and Babies!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,604 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to expect the end of May?

Awesome pictures Beckydoodle! I love the cubs but also love the owlet! That little fluff ball is too cute!

You are coming in the West entrance, right? So you will pass thru a bunch of piney woods first (maybe 5 miles or so??), then when the river comes up right next to the road on the left, start looking! You will likely see bison calves between the small bridge you will cross and the intersection at Madison.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,604 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to expect the end of May?

Oh, I love your account of the bear sighting! I get so excited too! I am not sure you ever feel casual about bear sightings!

Pam

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to expect the end of May?

beckydoodle, I just read that report. Awesome! I hope to see some wildlife while we are in YNP. We used to live near the Wichita Mtns Wildlife Refuge and would see lots and lots of Bison. Got caught up in a herd once. I felt really small in my corolla compared to those huge beasts. Been in a few bear jams too in the Great Smoky Mountains....some lasted almost 2 hrs. One way road and no where to go but just to sit and wait. I hope I can get some great photos while there.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to expect the end of May?

Love this! flickr.com/photos/…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to expect the end of May?

We've been twice in late May/early June and had sunny and warm weather in 2007 and cold and snow in 2008. We got to see lots of babies both years. Also have been late August/early September and had nice weather but snow and ice driving the Beartooth Hwy. The DOT even closed the Hwy the next day.

In our visits to the park we've have never seen bears- have seen them in Glacier and in the GSMNP along the Cades Cove loop lots of times. When we come in mid- September my goal is to see bears in Yellowstone.

Hope you are lucky to see all types of babies on your visit to the park!!!!