We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellowstone/tetons in august 2013

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
yellowstone/tetons in august 2013

I am posting for the road trip 2013 before posting my trip report for our Utah trip in 2012. My apologies. I promise I will post it in the next couple of weeks but I really need to organize my thoughts for our 2013 trip. I just need some pointers to get started. We are 2 adult parents travelling with a 13 year old girl and a 16 year old boy during the last 2 weeks in august. . Last summer we travelled 18 days through Utah, Arizona and Colorado. This year we will travel for 10-12 days in yellowstone and the tetons. We had a great time on the road but thought it would be nice, this summer, to spend more time in one or two general areas. I thought we would fly to jackson and spend the first 2-3 nights in the park at Yellowstone. Then we would stay someplace more remote and out of the park for 3 or 4 nights--maybe near West Yellowstone? Then we would drive back to Jackson hole and spend 2-3 days in the tetons. I think we would want to stay in Jackson for easier night activites. Figuring out lodging is daunting. We will be hiking and do well on moderately challenging hikes-the less teenage moaning the better. We have never been fishing and that seems like a fun activity for us to try. We definitly want to see as much wild life as we can see, which is one of the reasons for choosing this part of the world. And we are also looking for quiet, peaceful views. My kids are musicians so we hope to find some good music to listen to. i imagine we will find that in Jackson hole. As for accomodations-in the park I see we will need to settle for what is left. Out of the park we would prefer one or two bedrooms and internet and a balcony for drinking coffee in the morning.. We don't need luxury but comfort and space would be great. We're from NYC and this is vacation. A ski condo with a balcony and a view might be nice for us in the tetons. So if anyone has suggestions for a good itinerary for us, I would appreciate it very much. I'm finding it hard to figure out the best place to start, especially while at work! Thank you again TA. (and watch for my post on the utah forum.)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,423 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellowstone/tetons in august 2013

You have come to the right place for help with your trip to Yellowstone. We did Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado for 2 weeks last September and had a fantastic time. We are coming back to Yellowstone this September. It will be our 4th trip in the past 6 years.

Here is a link to an article about lodging in and around Yellowstone- this will help you begin to plan and be sure and book in park only thru Xanterra-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin…

Do not give up on booking in park lodging because cancellations occur all the time. I just got in park lodging for our September trip after checking for several months.

Yellowstone is huge and there is much to see and do. Most people on this forum recommend a minimum of 3 days in the park and if possible 4 or 5 or more. If you stay outside the park and still want to visit then be sure to find out exactly how far it is from the entrance to the park. Many condos or cabins will say for example near West Yellowstone and be an hour away. Travel in the park is slow because of traffic and wildlife jams.

Here is a link to some of the more popular sights in the park- of course your interests will dictate how to spend your time- the park is the size of the states of Delaware and Rhode Island.

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

You and your family might like to spend a day in Cody and enjoy the world class Buffalo Bill museum and the rodeo.

We like staying in Jackson Hole but lodging can be pricey. You will find nice restaurants, shopping, etc. there.

You and your family might also like to do a scenic float trip on the Snake River in the Grand Tetons or whitewater raft just south of Jackson Hole.

You will find vacation rentals in West Yellowstone and Gardiner that would work for Yellowstone and in Jackson Hole and Teton Village that would work for the Grand Tetons.

Please let us know if you have more questions and good luck with your trip planning.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellowstone/tetons in august 2013

For music, check online to get information for: in Jackson, the Silver Dollar Bar in the Wort Hotel, the Center for the Arts, and the Stagecoach Bar (in nearby Wilson); in Moose, Dornan's; and in Cody, Dan Miller's Cowboy Music Review, the Silver Dollar Bar, Cassie's and Cody Cattle Company.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yellowstone/tetons in august 2013

some info on the Tetons: If you would like a nice view with a balcony in a quiet place I would suggest the Lake Front retreat rooms at Signal Mountain Lodge in Grand Teton National Park. Book at signalmountainlodge.com/lodging-photos/ They also have cabins, but some have minimal views. I stayed there in 2009 in a lake front room. It has a nice view of the lake. This is in the park and away from town, but it is beautiful here. And if you are interested in the remoteness and wildlife it may suit you better for these purposes. You can always drive in to town for other activities.

You can eat there at their restaurants or you are also close to Jackson Lake Lodge which has an upscale and a diner type restaurant available. You can also drive into town for dinner nightly which I did in 2007 before I found all the other places to eat around that area.

If you want to stay "remote" as you say, you may quite enjoy the cabins at Colter Bay in Grand Tetons you may book at http://www.gtlc.com/ If price is no object, you could look into staying at the cabins at Jenny Lake where meals are included. (I haven't had the pocketbook to stay there.) I haven't stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge, but I like the set up better at Colter Bay. Colter Bay has a few restaurants, but I have never eaten at these. I know these won't put in town for the night activities, but just thought it would give you some options to look at; you may change your mind.

While in the Tetons, do make an effort to do the Snake river float trip either early morning at sunrise or do the sunset float. They are both very pleasant and enjoyable. Take a jacket on the evening float trip, you will start off with warm temps and by the time you get to the stopping point, you will be pulling on a jacket.:)

Also do spend an early morning or late afternoon/dusk time along Oxbow Bend if you are interested in wildlife.

Also, if you can't find what you are looking for in West Yellowstone or Gardiner, you may try Cooke City. I stayed there 3 nights in 2007 and it worked out fine as we booked late and had to stay outside the park as well. We split our nights between West Yellowstone and Cooke City.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellowstone/tetons in august 2013

Thank you so much for these responses. I'm starting to get a clearer vision!!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yellowstone/tetons in august 2013

Good suggestions above. With regard to Yellowstone, stay outside the park if you must, but the park is where it's at. The drive from outside the park will have to be repeated each morning and each evening you visit the park. And you don't want to be driving after dark -- too dangerous for motorist and beast alike.

ENJOY!

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
517 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yellowstone/tetons in august 2013

The old faithful inn had a violinist one night and a pianist the other night we were there last summer. It might not be the music scene you were thinking of, but sitting in the grand lobby a hearing violinist play "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" played from the balcony was pretty spectacular.

7. Re: yellowstone/tetons in august 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...