We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

Tupelo
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

As of right now we are scheduled to fly into Bozeman on August 4th. We were originally scheduled to arrive at 12nn, but our flights keep getting changed by the airline. The last change they made had us arriving at 7pm. Well, that was for sure not going to work because they had us losing a whole half day! HA! We are now scheduled to arrive at 3pm, but we have 3 different flights to get there. Now, I am NO fan of flying, so that is a major disadvantage for me! My dear hubby loves to fly, so the extra take off and landing doesn't bother him at all. Now, the good part is the airline has offered to let us fly out on August 3rd at no additional charge, and we could arrive in Bozeman at 12nn.

We have reservations in Red Lodge for the 4th, but they do not have availability for the 3rd. Should I check for other hotels in Red Lodge, or would you suggest maybe staying in Bozeman on the 3rd?? I would love to visit the Montana Grizzly Encounter if time allows and if you all recommend it. OR should we maybe stay in Gardiner or try for Mammoth on the 3rd?

I personally get just giddy thinking of having that extra night!! My mind is just racing at all of the possibilities. This will be our first time flying into Bozeman, so we are not familiar with the driving times and routes to get from Bozeman to Yellowstone. We have flown into Jackson for our previous trips.

I'm sorry to ramble, but again I just can't help myself when it comes to trip planning for Yellowstone! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. TA is by far the greatest place to glean information for trips. Thanks in advance!

Only 106 more days (or just maybe 105 days)! lol

Thanks,

Gina

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

I don't know how many days you have scheduled in the park, but an extra one is always a good thing!

On the other hand, you could use that day to explore Bozeman, stop at WalMart for your cooler and supplies, etc. - maybe even check out the Museum of the Rockies if that's something that appeals to you. Lots to see and do in Bozeman, while you're acclimating to the altitude change.

Personally, I'd pass on the Grizzly Encounter, but that's a pretty subjective opinion. I'd be more anxious to get to the park rather than a zoo-type environment.

Whatever you choose to do, you'll have a great time - so enjoy it!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,436 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

I would stay in Bozeman and get my supplies and then be ready to head to the park early the next morning. Or if you just cannot wait then pickup your supplies and get a place to spend the night in Gardiner.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

The drive to Red Lodge and the Red Lodge area is very scenic and the town, delightful. I can't get enough of Montana myself and Yellowstone of course is amazing. Tough choice! I think they are both about 2-3 hours from BZN which is also a nice town. I wish I had your dilemma! Have a great time!

Tupelo
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

Here is a run down of our plans:

Arrive Aug 4 at 2:45pm (Hopefully to change arrival date to Aug 3 at 12nn :))

Day 1-drive from Bozeman to Red Lodge (with current reservations)

Day 2-3 Roosevelt Cabins- our first time to stay here and so looking forward to it

Day 4, 5, 6- Grand Tetons

Day 7-8 Old Faithful Lodge cabins

August 12- Fly out of Bozeman at 3:15pm

On our last two trips we have only had 7 nights total. This time I was able to squeeze an eighth night in, so you can just imagine my excitement with possibly a ninth night!

I just don't know if I could be that close to Yellowstone without making it there on the arrival day! lol

Gina

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

I have a great story about our time in Red Lodge and our plan to drive the Beartooth Highway to Yellowstone's northeast entrance a couple of years ago. We left Blue Sky Cabins (sublime, by the way) early to get thru and to the B&B in Gardiner. We made it all the way to the entrance and found out there and then the road was washed out! We ended up having to detour thru Cody WY and up the east entrance! Took us about 6 hours or more. More beautiful scenery at least!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

<< I just don't know if I could be that close to Yellowstone without making it there on the arrival day! >>

My sentiments exactly! I'd be looking for a place in Gardiner or Mammoth (or time permitting Silver Gate / Cooke City) for the bonus night.

<< We made it all the way to the entrance and found out there and then the road was washed out! >>

Oh, that brings back memories! At the Buffalo Ranch a couple of springs ago we dealt with a situation where a rockslide blocked the road between Tower and Mammoth, and Dunraven Pass was not yet open. Check the map and see what options that left us to get anywhere.

ENJOY!

Edited: 21 April 2013, 17:53
Tupelo
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

Fishergal, I do hope you got the opportunity to drive the Beartooth! It is amazing!

Bill074, oh my! I would say that was one major detour! We are planning to hike Mt Washburn this year. Super excited!

Thanks everyone for all you help!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

Oh we did drive the Beartooth! Before we left Red Lodge we checked with the visitor center who told us road open as did every sign on the way to the park. "The best laid plans..." Lol!

9. Re: Change of plans.....maybe an extra day....suggestions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...