We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

San Jose,ca
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

Hi,

We are planning to take a road trip from SF to Yellow stone in the month of June with Spouse and 2 kids (aged 8 and 4 ) .

Is it going to be too much driving ?

Are there any nice attractions along the road where we take a break for a day and then continue.

Experts : Please advice and let me know your views.

Regards

1. Re: Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 04:10
San Jose,ca
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

Thanks @Ystoner.

Been to Tahoe many times. Any alternative where we can spend a day ?

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

Did you know that TripAdvisor has a Road Trips Forum?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Good luck!

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

We've made that drive numerous times (ours is Sacramento to YNP). Assume you're going on I80 to Wells NV, then 93 to Idaho Falls ID, then 84, 15, 20 to West Yellowstone MT and into the Park. We usually spend the night (we pull a trailer) in either Elko or Jackpot Nv. IMHO, there really aren't any kind of 'attractions' between home & YNP on that route. Things to pull over & look at, yes. Something to take up a day? No. (Of course, others may have a different opinion).

If you want a day-long stopover, I'd suggest you continue on I80 to Salt Lake City & stop for the night there, although it will be a looonngg day's drive from the Bay Area. Plenty to see/do there. Then you'd head north from SLC through Grand Teton NP and into YNP. We went that way once before & it was a scenic trip, but it takes longer to get to YNP, and I guess we're just always in too big a hurry to get there to take the 'long way'!

Edited: 22 April 2013, 23:08
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

How many days have you planned for this trip, including travel days? I hope you have planned at least 3 full days in YNP. And have made reservations. If not:

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK This article tells what you need to know about lodging locations inside and outside the park, how to get lodging, and how to choose from among the various locations.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin… html

Santa Clara...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

I am going to attempt that drive this June-July with a 30' travel trailer. Any worries on that route? Things I should prepare for? Thanks!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

Jim K, did you know that TripAdvisor has a Road Trips Forum?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri… (see the post #3 above)

Good luck!

8. Re: Driving from SF to Yellowstone need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15