We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see each day?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
What to see each day?

We had hoped to leave Boise by 3pm on Thursday the 23rd of May and spend the night in West Yellowstone and pull into the park early on the 24th of May and leave on the 27th. Due to my husband's job we may have to alter those plans just a bit. If we have to, we will leave Boise late afternoon on the 24th and hope to arrive in the park sometime around 9pm or so (just don't want to have to give up that night in the cabin) and stay until the 28th. We will be staying at Lake Hotel Cabins the 24th checking out on the 27th no matter what. Can't get a cabin for the 27th so if we stay until the 28th we ill have to find accommodations elsewhere.

Knowing where we will be staying, what would be your recommendations for things to see each day? I know we will want to see some of the thermal features but wildlife viewing/photographing will be what we want to do the most. Keep in mind we've never been to YNP and in some instances having a hard time determining where some of these locations people speak of are actually located.......what area or what it's close to. I do have a map but sometimes still have a hard time finding these locations.

Thanks for any and all help.

btw......check out these baby owls I was fortunate enough to photograph this week. They are so darn cute. http://www.flickr.com/photos/41557079@N02/page1/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,077 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see each day?

Just a warning- you do not want to drive thru the park at night- way too scary with all the wildlife.

Keep checking for lodging because cancellations occur all the time especially the week of your trip.

IMO I would stay in West Yellowstone the first night.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 17:36
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see each day?

I don't think the sun will even set until close to 9pm we should be there by then.

gaisma.com/en/location/yellowstone-national-…

Edited: 28 April 2013, 17:40
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see each day?

We hope to know this coming week if he will be able to be off work completely on the 24th.....which was our first choice and hope and pray it stays that way.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,077 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see each day?

Just giving you the warning because we have planned to leave on a trip at a certain time and been delayed by an hour or two. Just did not want you running into a bison, deer, etc.

Have a great trip!!

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see each day?

Thank you Peach! Uncertainty drives me batty. That Friday is suppose to be an off day and then Monday is a holiday and for "them" to change the off day is really aggravating. I hoping that my husband reminds his coworkers and boss that that is suppose to be his day off and they are able to work around that. Who knows??? I will be on pins and needles until he finds out for sure on Tuesday.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see each day?

VeeBee, take a look at your YNP map. The "Grand Loop" is what they call the main road. Note that it is sort of an irregular figure eight. All the lodging points are essentially along the Grand Loop, mostly at interesctions. The biggest thermal areas are along the west side of the Grand Loop (listed North to South): Mammoth Hot Springs, Norris Geyser Basin, Lower Geyser Basin, Midway Geyser Basin, and the grand-daddy of them all, Upper Geyser Basin (Old Faithful). Wildlife viewing can happen anywhere, especially Hayden Valley (between Lake and Canyon on the east side of the lower part of Grand Loop) and Lamar Valley (look at the road going east from Tower to the NE park entrance).

There you have it in a nutshell. Each morning when you get up, decide what you'd like to see that day, and the folks at the visitor center where you are staying will have plenty of suggestions based on your interests and their knowledge of up to date conditions (closings, frequent animal sightings, trail conditions, etc.). Since every part of the park is cool, and since you cannot see it all anyway, no matter where you are your day can be delightful.

ENJOY!

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see each day?

Thank you Bill......I think probably the best thing we can do is just to do like you said, wake up and just decide which direction we want to go that day. Trying not to cram too much into this trip. We live close enough to go back to the park at least 1 or 2 more times. I also just ordered Yellowstone Treasures from Amazon, should be here by Wednesday.

We used to live in Tuscaloosa, AL and would go to the Smoky Mtns sometimes 3-4 times in a 12 month period and we live close to the same distance away from YNP as we did from GSMNP. GSMNP isn't near as large as YNP and there were sections of that park I never made it to after visiting probably 30 or more times.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see each day?

You're on the right track. Leave the structure and scheduling of the rat race behind and shift into vacation gear.

The most amazing wildlife sightings I have ever had were not something I was seeking out that day. Who could seek out four baby badgers at once? Or a badger and mountain goat kid confronting one another? The park just comes to someone who is ready for it.

ENJOY!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see each day?

Since you are interested in wildlife photography, here is a map for the place names often used for animal sightings in Lamar valley by the wolfers, animal watchers & wildlife photographers::

www.yellowstone.co/maps/lamarvalley.htm

I print & take with me.

Ohhhhh those gr horn owl chicks!!! Look for gr grey if you're up around upper Barronette meadow! Mt goats too.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 20:24
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see each day?

Thanks! I will print that. See, it took me forever to find "Lamar Valley" on the map I have and I was looking for Slough Creek earlier when I read about it in a Trip Report. I had no idea where or what part of the park those were in.

Aren't those babies just the cutest things? I had never seen an owl in the wild until a couple of months ago when a fellow photographer told us where to look for one. There's also a Bald Eagle nest not too far from here and we walk there about once a week to check on the birds. It is just a thrill to see those birds.