We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

Norwalk, CT
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

I need help. My husband and I (along with our two sons ages 15 and 11), are traveling to Yellowstone in early July. We wil be driving from Connecticut. We will be there for 3 days and I am looking for advice on where to stay (and soon since time is a ticking lol). We need to stay somewhere with air conditioning so that rules out anywhere in the park. We especially want to see Old Faithful so a town near there would be nice. My biggest concern is that one of my sons has autism and I am sure there will be times when he and I will have to come back to the room while the others continue to explore so I am looking to make accommodations that when this happens we will not have a two hour ride back to the hotel (of course I know this will depend on where we are at at the time). So I guess I am looking for the town that is most closely located to Yellowstone and the geyers. Any other advice would be welcomed and appreciated also. Thanks.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

The closest towns to YNP are West Yellowstone - which is closest to OF - and Gardiner on the northern edge of the park.

As you've seen, there is no A/C in the lodging inside the park - mainly because it isn't needed. It may get a little warm in the rooms during the day, but as soon as the sun goes down it cools off. Even during the day, it isn't that warm inside ( esp. in early July) if you keep the windows open for ventilation.

Unless you have in-park lodging, you most likely will have a 2-hr. or longer drive back to your motel during the day - so I would give some more thought to where you choose to stay.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 02:52
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

I second Paula's comments. It gets cold at night and the closest rooms will be inside the park. The drive gets tedious in and out of the park, it truly is vast. This article should help you to decide on your lodging. It's quite late, so check the advice and get to work. :)

Much to see inside the park beyond Old Faithful and the hundreds of other geysers, mudpots, etc. As in great wildlife sightings. Bring binoculars and cameras, it will be the trip of a lifetime.

Lodging Inside and Outside YNP

For lodging INSIDE the Park - http://www.travelyellowstone.com/ Xanterra is the YNP contracted lodging resource. Other agencies might charge a nonrefundable fee and they have to contact Xanterra themselves which you can do for free.

To get reservations in the park - (1) Monitor the Xanterra website continuously, and if you can, (2) call several times a day as cancellations often occur.

If nothing available, reserve lodging outside the park but know the cancellation policies. If you do get Xanterra lodging, cancel those reservations.

For lodging OUTSIDE the Park - If you cannot get or do not want lodging inside the park, use the gateway towns of West Yellowstone and Gardiner. Cooke City and Silvergate are quite distant from major park sights, except for the Lamar Valley.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

Unless your "need" for air conditioning is something special, you might reconsider staying in the park. AC isn't needed in Yellowstone weather. But the nearest town from Old Faithful is two hours or more, and that cannot be changed.

ENJOY!

Norwalk, CT
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have another question. We are coming in from the East (Ct) and are spending three full days in the park. We want to end up in the best location at the end to head to Las Vegas and we especially want to see Lamar Valley. Can anyone give us a general mapping out of how best to do this? We are willing to break up our lodging into two locations and probably will be staying in West Y elbow stone for Old Faithful. Thanks again.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

Lamar Valley is between Tower Junction and the NE park entrance. Staying at Roosevelt is your best bet.

As far as I know staying in West Yellowstone probably best gets you started toward SLC.

ENJOY!

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
564 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

I also agree with Bill074 that your last night would be best in West Yellowstone if you're wanting to head straight to Las Vegas as it would be the most direct route. If you haven't already, you can plan it using: www.maps.google.com Good luck and enjoy the trip-I'm sure your sons will love it!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

If you require AC, look at Cooke City Super 8- I tried to e-mail confirming A/C but it was rejected, so a phone call would be in order. Mind you- I have never stayed there, I just know it exists :) It could work for your first night in coming from the east, using the NE gate, or even the east gate and driving up the east side of the park. You can access Lamar easily from there.

If you don't need the A/C after all, then I love Roosevelt!

Edited: 08 May 2013, 16:15
8. Re: Where to stay during Yellowstone visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:19