We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
188 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

I want to get a good picture of Grand Prismatic. We will be coming from the South on Grand Loop Road. How hard is it to find the trail? I found it on Google Earth, but I don't think it will be that easy in real life. We will be coming from the Lake Hotel/cabins area. Also, once we find a place to park, how hard/long of a hike is it to get a good picture of GP? Thanks for any info/tips you can give me. Coming to the Park May 20th-24th.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

That area may be closed until May 24 for bear management.

www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/bearclosures.htm

The Fairy Falls trailhead is easy to find. I usually know it because there are cars parked all along the entry road onto the main road! lol If you are headed north from Old Faithful, if you get to Midway, you have gone too far. Here is a map on the Yellowstone hiking page. It does indicate this area is closed until the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

nps.gov/yell/…238DHOF2011.pdf

Pam

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
188 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

That is a bummer! But thanks for the info!!!

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
188 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

If that is closed.. is there any other place to get a higher-ground picture of Grand Prismatic?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

…photobucket.com/albums/ad123/Deb1741/Facebo…

A photo of the BMA signs all along both sides of the road by from Fairy Falls Trailhead parking lot to north of Midway Geysers. The only area that is open is the parking lot and the boardwalks around Grand Prismatic. However, the signs are posted at the beginning of the parking lot where there is a open grassy area between the parking lot and the river. We fixed our lunch there on Saturday and thought about walking around to see if we could get some pics of bluebirds but didn't because the area was closed.

Right across the road from the parking lot is a high hill that you can climb to get an overview of Grand Prismatic. It is not as good as the view from the Fairy Falls trail. I do not recall seeing any BMA signs in that specific area so you would need to look. I would think it would still be closed though because there were signs south and north of the hill.

Sometimes, rangers will lift a BMA restriction if the bears have moved on. If there are no signs out this would be the case. Also, the barricades would be moved from the Fairy Falls parking lot entrance. You could also stop at Old Faithful and ask the rangers what the trail status is at that time.

Deb

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
188 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

Thanks!

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
188 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

Can you get pictures from the other side of the road.. up on the hill? Looks like on Google Earth people have taken pictures from higher ground across the road.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

Yes, you can take pictures from that hill. However, in my previous post (#4) I said I didn't know if it was in the BMA. If it is, you will not be able to climb it. I am thinking it is but you would need to stop and ask to make sure.

Deb

Edited: 08 May 2013, 22:39
Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
188 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

Thanks Deb! I really want one of those high ground GP shots... the ones right next to it don't look as good!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

Where/how do you find this hill? We're headed to Yellowstone in June with a toddler and heard the viewing spot from the Fairy Falls trail is too high to climb with a kiddo in a backpack. Would this alternative hill be manageable?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fairy Falls Trail/Grand Prismatic Spring

PhiladelphiaAngel....the hill that is across across the road from the Grand Prismatic parking lot is way steeper than the hill that you get to on the Fairy Falls trail.

Deb