We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

Beaumont, Texas
9 posts
Save Topic
Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

I am planning a 12-day vacation to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks for Summer 2014 for 3 families. In total, there will be 5 adults, 2 teenagers, 2 older children, and 2 youngsters. The tentative plan is to stay 7 nights in Yellowstone Park and the rest somewhere in Jackson Hole or GTNP. We have reservations at Old Faithful Inn (which was a must for all of us). We are also wanting to make reservations somewhere else in the park. I have been reading up on Roosevelt Cabins and thought that would be the best option, but I have also been eyeing Yellowstone Lake Lodge and Canyon Lodge. Which one of those is the most convenient to the sites? How many days should we stay at OF Inn and how many at the alternate hotel/cabin? Thanks!

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

Canyon would be your most central location but I like the Lake Lodge area more. How many nights do you currently have at Old Faithful? As far as splitting it up, what are your interests (geysers, wildlife, etc.) and how many times do you feel like moving? Which, with that many people probably won't be many.

Beaumont, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

Currently, I have all 7 nights booked at Old Faithful Inn. We had planned on staying the entire time there, but after more research, I think it is too inconvenient to see all of the park from one location. We are now wanting to stay at least 2 nights there and the rest elsewhere. We would prefer to move only one additional time, but might be willing to consider twice if the hassle of packing up 11 people is off-set by more time enjoying the park. Our interests are extremely varied. We definitely want to hike, view some wildlife, and see some of the geothermic activity.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

If you only want to move twice then I'd do 3 nights at Old Faithful so you have 2 full days for that area. Then move and do 4 nights at Canyon. If you want to move one more time I'd add a night or two at Roosevelt. That will give you better access to the Mammoth area and close to Lamar Valley for the wildlife. I would do the Roosevelt nights after Old Faithful, if you stay there, then stay at Canyon before you leave for the Tetons. Or stay at Old Faithful before you leave, either way works. You can always get additional reservations and keep all of your night at Old Faithful until you make a final decision.

Side note, are the reservations all under one name or multiple names?

Beaumont, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

3 rooms, one name. It was easier to arrange the booking that way. Why?

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

If you had them under different names I was going to tell you to put in a request to be near the other ones. Glad to hear you did it the easy way :) If you do add nights online you can call and have them tie all the reservations together once you get things finalized.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

Good plan- 3 nights at OF and 4 nights in Canyon!! Glad you are booking early for 2014.

Beaumont, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

Thanks for the help! I just booked 3 nights at OF Inn and 4 at Canyon Lodge Frontier Cabins. Can't wait : )

8. Re: Vacation Planning for 1st Yellowstone trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 05:15